It’s not intuitive
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty follows in the footsteps of its two Koei Tecmo spiritual predecessors (Nioh 1 and 2) and allows players to pause the game. The thing is it’s not obvious, so here’s a quick rundown of how to pause in Wo Long.
The pause function is buried at the bottom of the in-game menu
After you zone into a level, you’ll be able to bring up the main pause menu to change up an array of options:
- Equipment (change your gear)
- Inventory (check your items)
- Status (check your stats, including what points you’ve put into each category when leveling up)
- Titles (mainly bragging rights when clearing certain achievements)
- Documents (lore-based items)
- Photographs (selecting this will trigger the photo mode)
If you look down at the bottom of the screen, you’ll notice a tiny little “pause” icon. Press the accompanying button (on PlayStation, it’s the touchpad), and you’ll pause the game. You can’t do anything while the game is paused (even look through menus), so just keep that in mind. To resume your playthrough, you’ll press the same button again.
If you need to take a break and aren’t near a flag (which is basically the Dark Souls bonfire equivalent in Wo Long), you can use this method to pause the game. I didn’t notice it until a few hours in, so hopefully you can make use of it immediately!