Another re-stock boosts sales 135%
There’s gonna be a celebration at Casa de Nook this morning, as Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Horizon has once again returned to the number one spot of the UK Charts. A recent re-stock saw the cutesy social sim receive an enormous 135% spike in sales, the second time availability has been directly responsible for the game’s chart ranking. Seems like if people can buy the game then they buy the game. Nutso.
As noted by GamesIndustry.biz, it was otherwise a very quiet week for UK sales, with no new releases entering the Top 40. Nintendo’s continued presence sees Switch releases Luigi’s Mansion 3, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe all sitting pretty in the upper echelon, while Take 2’s Grand Theft Auto V surged from number five to number two.
Square Enix’ Final Fantasy VII Remake has dropped out of the Top Ten, resting at number 13, while the recent reveal of Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has seen a sales boost to previous entry Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, which leapt back into the Top 20 at number 17.
U.K. video game sales chart w/e: May 9, 2020
(Chart reflects in-store physical sales only)
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo
2. Grand Theft Auto V – Take 2
3. FIFA 20 – Electronic Arts
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Activision
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Nintendo
6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – Electronic Arts
7. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – Nintendo
8. Red Dead Redemption 2 – Take 2
9. Minecraft – Nintendo
10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – Nintendo
U.K. video game charts [GamesIndustry.biz]