It’s the Oscar season again, and like last year the Writer’s Guild of America has revealed its nominees for the best writing of the year. This year’s nominees are Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, Batman: Arkham City, Brink, Mortal Kombat, and Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception.
To be eligible for consideration you had to adhere to a number of criteria, including the game in question being released between December 1, 2010 and November 30, 2011, having actual writing credit for the game, and being part of the Videogame Writers Causus or having applied to become a member at the time of submission.
The award went to Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood in 2011, so what about this year? Uncharted 3 sounds like a safe bet to me. The WGA awards ceremony takes place on February 19, 2012 and check the full list of nominees below.
- Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, Story by Alexandre Amancio, Jean Guesdon, Corey May, Darby McDevitt; Multiplayer Story by Stéphane Blais, Richard Farrese, Jeffrey Yohalem; Lead Script Writer Darby McDevitt; Script Writers Richard Farrese, Nicholas Grimwood, Corey May, Jeffrey Yohalem; Greek and Turkish Ambient Dialogue Writer Vincenzo Beretta; Ubisoft
- Batman: Arkham City, Lead Narrative Designer Paul Crocker; Story Written by Paul Dini, Paul Crocker and Sefton Hill; Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
- Brink, Lead Writer Edward “Bongoboy” Stern; Bethesda Softworks
- Mortal Kombat, Story by John Vogel, Brian Chard, Dominic Cianciolo, Alexander Barrentine, Jon Greenberg; Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
- Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment