Aaaaaaaaaaaand welcome to another edition of The Great Retro Quiz!, the weekly feature that puts your knowledge of classic games to the test! *thunderous applause*
This week is all about one of the most influential and highly regarded games ever created: Metroid for the Nintendo Entertainment System. While I am assuming most of you have played the game close to a million times (“right?” says
While I wanted to give away this real-life Metroid I picked up on my recent trip to the Ceres Space Colony as a prize, the Galactic Federation just contacted me and said it would be “too dangerous for children under six or people without Ice Beams handy.” Boo, them. Because of this unfortunate situation (and since E for
So, since this week is just for fun, there is obviously no need to post your answers in the comments (unless you just want to show off how smart you are), but you can still check my community blog tomorrow (10/18) for the results and to see how you ranked.
It’s time to channel your inner intergalactic bounty hunter. Hit the jump and … good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz! .06
Number or Questions: 20
1. Ridiculously easy question of the week! If Samus Aran walked into a bathroom, what sign would be on the door?
2. What planet does the original Metroid take place on?
3. Box art memories! What creature is missing from the below, original Metroid cover art?
a. A Zoomer
b. A Skree
c. A Metroid
d. A Ripper
Four-part question! Think back to the very first screen of the original Metroid (ah, the memories). On this opening screen …
4. … how much energy do you start with?
5. … which direction do you have to run to pick up the Morph Ball power-up?
c. Trick question! You start with the Morph Ball!
6. … what section of the planet are you on?
7. … how many enemies can be seen (before moving)?
Old control scheme alert! Match the action performed by Samus with the button on the original NES controller that activates it:
10. Select missiles
11. Use Morph Ball
12. Samus just lost a round of strip poker to Mario, Link, and Princess Peach, but is having trouble getting out of the cumbersome cyber suit to “pay up.” What should the bounty hunter do to make the job easier?
a. Complete Metroid in over 5 hours
b. Pick up the Screw Attack power-up
c. Enter the password “JUSTIN BAILEY”
d. Enter the password “NARPAS SWORD”
Who is who?
15. How many missiles does it take to open a red hatch?
16. Which of the below power-up icons represents the Varia Suit upgrade?
17. After defeating Mother Brain, how many “Metroid seconds” does Samus have to escape the underground facility before the time bomb explodes?
18. Speaking of Mother Brain … when fighting her, besides the gun turret shots, what annoying projectiles fill the screen and constantly knock Samus into the lava (argh!)?
19. What is the name of the Game Boy Advance remake of the original Metroid?
a. Metroid: Zero
b. Metroid Fusion
c. Metroid: First Act
d. Metroid Dread
20. Ridiculously hard question of the week! In the fictitious Chozo language, what does “Metroid” actually mean?
a. “Creature of death”
b. “Life force”
c. “Alien keeper”
d. “Ultimate warrior”
The Great Retro Quiz! Hall of Champions
.01: The Virtual Console (NES) – No prize