Remember the cannon room glitch in Twilight Princess that prevented players from progressing? What are the odds that there would also be a game-breaking bug in Skyward Sword? Does this make it a trend now? Will future home console Zeldas carry on this new tradition?
The exact requirements to trigger the glitch were unknown until Nintendo responded to emails from inquisitive fans. I'm going to post the details after the jump because it's a late-game occurrence and there are some slight story spoilers. Here's a spoiler-free version: When it comes time to assemble the three-piece "thing" to get the ultimate "whoosit," leave the trip to the desert for last.
Hopefully Nintendo finds an appropriate fix soon. You might have to send your disc in for a swap if the glitch happens to you. Lament the lack of proper patching.
Nintendo Addresses the Skyward Sword Game-Breaking Glitch [Zelda Informer]
Below is the Nintendo response in its entirety. It contains spoilers!
We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon's event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
- This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon's song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
- If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
I wish I had a better answer, but I'm afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.