Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser reportedly says the company is taking action
Two heads of the major console manufacturers have issued internal statements in light of the recent reports on Activision Blizzard and its CEO Bobby Kotick, and now a third is joining them. A new report from Fanbyte says Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser sent an internal email out last Friday addressing the Wall Street Journal report.
According to Fanbyte, Bowser’s email went out to all levels of Nintendo of America, and addressed the current situation and allegations at Activision Blizzard. The president says he’s been following the developments and finds the accounts “distressing and disturbing,” and running “counter” to his and Nintendo’s values.
The letter goes on to say that representatives at Nintendo have been in contact with Activision Blizzard, “have taken action and are assessing others.” Though no further detail is provided on what those actions entail, Fanbyte also reports that Bowser makes mention of the ESA, or Entertainment Software Association. Bowser reportedly says he has been working with the ESA since at least last week to strengthen stances on harassment and abuse in the workplace.
“Every company in the industry must create an environment where everyone is respected and treated as equals, and where all understand the consequences of not doing so,” said Bowser.
Other console execs have voiced their concerns in internal emails as well, including PlayStation’s Jim Ryan and Xbox’s Phil Spencer. Employees, meanwhile, have been signing an open petition and staged a walkout over last week’s Wall Street Journal report, alleging CEO Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct allegations at the company for years.
This all stems from the lawsuit filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing filed earlier this year, alleging discrimination, harassment, and a toxic workplace culture at Activision Blizzard. You can find a brief timeline of the suit and what’s transpired since here.