The May NPD numbers are in, and Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption is the clear winner of the month. The game sold a total of about 1.5 million units on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. As for the other games in the top five, Super Mario Galaxy 2 took third place and THQ's UFC Undisputed 2010 brought up both fourth and fifth place.
Hardware-wise, the Nintendo DS dominated with over 350,000 units moved. Compare that to the PSP, which moved just under 60,000 units. Second place goes to the Wii which almost moved more systems than both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 combined last month.
Despite what looks like solid numbers, hardware sales are down 20 percent and software is down six percent compared to last May. But as Gamasutra points out, this is the third-best May sales month after May '08 and May '09.
Hit the break for the top ten games and console sales stats.
1. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360), 945,900
2. Red Dead Redemption (PS3), 567,100
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), 563,900
4. UFC Undisputed 2010 (Xbox 360), 221,100
5. UFC Undisputed 2010 (PS3), 192,300
6. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
8. Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
9. Pokemon SoulSilver Version (NDS)
10. Skate 3 (Xbox 360)
1. Nintendo DS: 383,700
2. Wii: 334,800
3. Xbox 360: 194,600
4. PlayStation 3: 154,500
5. PSP: 59,400