Because it was easy to miss them during the show
Did you find there to be a noticeable lack of "A" in the broadcast of the 2012 Spike VGAs tonight? By my count, we had somewhere in the neighborhood of half a dozen actual awards given out during the two-hour presentation. A few games won in multiple categories and they saved time by sneaking a few other awards in with the one acceptance speech, while a couple more were announced during the event's red carpet pre-show.
Meanwhile, the rest of the show didn't even bother with the pretense of being anything more than a massive marketing effort, with the scads of new trailers and so forth. Just kind of sad, really, but at least I'm not ashamed of my hobby after this year's show. That's progress.
We do have a list of all the winners to share with you, so at least you can see the full rundown in one easy place, maybe catch the ones you didn't hear during the show.
The article continues below. Login to skip ads, get faster mobile, and dibs on betas
- Game of the Year: The Walking Dead
- Studio of the Year: Telltale Games
- Best Xbox 360 Game: Halo 4
- Best PS3 Game: Journey
- Best Wii/Wii U Game: New Super Mario Bros. U
- Best PC Game: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Best Shooter: Borderlands 2
- Best Action/Adventure: Dishonored
- Best RPG: Mass Effect 3
- Best Multiplayer: Borderlands 2
- Best Individual Sports Game: SSX
- Best Team Sports Game: NBA 2k13
- Best Driving Game: Need for Speed Most Wanted
- Best Song in a Game: "Cities" by Beck, from Sound Shapes
- Best Original Score: Journey
- Best Graphics: Halo 4
- Best Independent Game: Journey
- Best Fighting Game: Persona 4 Arena
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game: Sound Shapes
- Best Performance by a Human Male: Dameon Clarke in Borderlands 2 as "Handsome Jack"
- Best Performance by a Human Female: Melissa Hutchison in The Walking Dead as"Clementine"
- Best Adapted Game: The Walking Dead
- Best DLC: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - Dawnguard
- Best Downloadable Game: The Walking Dead
- Best Social Game: You Don't Know Jack
- Game of the Decade: Half-Life 2
- Character of the Year: Claptrap from Borderlands 2
- Most Anticipated Game: Grand Theft Auto 5
Spike VGA 2012 Winners [Spike.com]