I had the pleasure of checking out Halo 4 at E3 a few months ago and was impressed by how much Neil Davidge's soundtrack reminded me of Metroid. While we were assured that the iconic orchestral fare we've all come to know the Halo franchise for will be intact, I can't wait to hear more of the electronic stuff, which plays to Davidge's strengths as producer and co-writer of Massive Attack.
The 15-track Halo 4 soundtrack will be released physically and digitally on October 22 for $13.98, although a limited edition version will also be produced if you're willing to shell out $75. Just what do you get for such a high asking price, you ask? Well, there's an additional 14-track remix album featuring talent from all across the electronic music industry along with a behind-the-scenes DVD, book with commentary by Davidge, signed artwork, and more. The limited edition set can be pre-ordered here.
You can hear some samples from the soundtrack as well as read about the entire contents of different versions of the soundtrack being offered below.
“Halo 4” Original Soundtrack and Special Edition Remix Album Coming Oct.22
In addition to the original soundtrack from famed composer/producer Neil Davidge, renowned electronica musicians DJ Skee, Sander Van Doorn, Apocalyptica, Hundred Waters and more contribute to first ever “Halo” Remix Album as part of a Special Limited Edition Box Set
Microsoft and 343 Industries in conjunction with new soundtrack partner 7Hz Productions, today announced the “Halo 4” Original Soundtrack (OST) produced by composer Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame will be available online and in stores on Oct. 22. The “Halo 4” Original Soundtrack, featuring 15 tracks and over 75 minutes of unique music, marks the first time a new composer has taken the reins for the iconic series’ musical score since the launch of the original “Halo” game more than a decade ago.
The “Halo 4” individually numbered and limited Special Edition 2-Disc Box Set will consist of the “Halo 4” Remix Album, produced by Davidge in tandem with fourteen of the world’s most renowned electronica producers and artists, including DJ Skee, Sander Van Doorn, Gui Boratto, Caspa, Apocalyptica, Hundred Waters, and more. A first for the “Halo” franchise, the landmark remix project is a premier example of a video game drawing from the breadth and caliber of talent in the electronica music world, breaking new ground for the blockbuster franchise that has sold over 43 million game copies worldwide and generated nearly $3 billion in revenue.
“It was an honor to compose and produce the ‘Halo 4’ score,” said Davidge. “I am so proud of the way the OST has turned out and to have had the opportunity to evolve the great legacy of ‘Halo’ music. To be able to then collaborate with these talented DJ’s and musicians on various remixes was a real bonus as it is always fun and interesting to see how others interpret and reimagine what you have created.”
Pushing the musical envelope, Davidge and his production company enlisted popular electronica producers DJ Skee, Caspa, Sander Van Doorn & Julian Jordan, Gui Boratto, KOAN Sound, Matt Lange, Andrew Bayer, Norin & Rad, Alvin Risk, Bobby Tank, Maor Levi and Hundred Waters, in addition to rock maestros Apocalyptica and ex-Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, to create a 14-track remix disk based on the Original Soundtrack (samples available on Halo Waypoint). When approached to work with Davidge, these artists not only took his work on the “Halo 4” score and shaped it into their own unique sound, but kept true to the roots and feel of the “Halo” franchise.
“I have been a fan of ‘Halo’ since day one, and when I heard Neil's epic compositions for ‘Halo 4’ I was blown away,” said DJ Skee. “When we got the opportunity to remix and add our style, I wanted to create something just as epic that could stand alongside both the original composition and ‘Halo 4’ itself.”
A summary of the “Halo 4” soundtrack offerings is as follows:
“Halo 4” Original Soundtrack (available in physical CD and digital formats)
· Available for standalone purchase of $13.98 (U.S. ERP), the “Halo 4” Original Soundtrack features 15 themes from award-winning producer Neil Davidge, co-writer and producer of the pioneering trip hop group Massive Attack. This marks the first time a new composer has taken the reins for the iconic series’ musical score since the launch of the original “Halo” game more than a decade ago.
· Working in collaboration with 343 Industries, Davidge and his production team enlisted a 16-person hand-picked male tenor / bass choir plus 10 females from the London Bulgarian Choir, a full 50 piece orchestra and a whole host of other performers to bring the music of “Halo 4” to life through a massive production effort on par with a major Hollywood blockbuster.
· In addition, “Halo” fans who purchase a physical copy of the Original Soundtrack will receive a free download voucher for three exclusive remix tracks and three additional Davidge tracks not included on the soundtrack but featured in the “Halo 4” game. These game pieces will not be available on any other platform other than through the physical CD purchase.
“Halo 4” Original Soundtrack List and Titles (CD & Digital):
2. Belly Of The Beast
10. To Galaxy
15. Green And Blue
“Halo 4” Special Digital Original Soundtrack
· The Special Digital Original Soundtrack features the full content of the Original Soundtrack, a digital booklet, as well as six bonus remix tracks composed by renowned producer Neil Davidge and remixed as follows: “To Galaxy (Sander Van Doorn & Julian Jordan Remix),” “Awakening (Gui Boratto Remix),” “Revival (DJ Skee & THX Remix),” “Ascendancy (Caspa Remix),” “Requiem (Bobby Tank Remix) and “The Beauty of Cortana (Apocalyptica vs. Neil Davidge Remix).”
“Halo 4” Special Edition 2-Disc Box Set (available direct to consumer)
· Available for preorder today for $75 (U.S. ERP), the “Halo 4” Special Edition 2-Disc Box Set includes:
o “Halo 4” Original Soundtrack
o “Halo 4” 14-track remix album
o Exclusive “Making of ‘Halo 4’ Music” DVD containing over 70 minutes of unique behind the scenes footage, interviews and recording sessions from Abbey Road
o Exclusive hardcoverbook on the “Making of ‘Halo 4’ Music” featuring production and composition notes from Neil Davidge plus exclusive behind-the-scenes photos and exclusive artwork images
o Exclusive 12” Neil Davidge signed art print
o Exclusive 180g heavy weight 12” Vinyl Full color Picture Disk of Master Chief and Cortana in a uniquely designed Sleeve bag
o Exclusive Avatar T-Shirt download (Male & Female)
o The first 5000 orders will all be individually numbered in a limited series and personalized by Neil Davidge
o Preorder at: http://halowaypoint.com/halo4soundtrack
“Halo 4” Remix Album Track List and Titles:
1. Awakening – Gui Boratto Remix
2. Green And Blue – KOAN Sound Remix
3. Requiem – Bobby Tank Remix
4. Ascendancy – Caspa Remix
5. To Galaxy – Sander Van Doorn & Julian Jordan Remix
6. Haven – Hundred Waters Remix
7. Revival – DJ Skee & THX Remix
8. Ascendancy – Matt Lange Remix
9. Nemesis – Alvin Risk Remix
10. Solace – Maor Levi Remix
11. Arrival – Norin & Rad Remix
12. Green And Blue – Andrew Bayer Remix
13. Foreshadow – James Iha Remix
14. The Beauty Of Cortana – Apocalyptica vs. Neil Davidge Remix
All Soundtrack formats will be released by Microsoft’s new soundtrack partner, 7Hz Productions and affiliates: Friday October 19th, Australia & New Zealand (7Hz / Sony Music); Monday October 22nd UK & Eire, Europe & Japan (Essential), USA & Canada, South America (The End/RED).
Launching worldwide exclusively on Xbox 360 Nov.6, 2012, “Halo 4” is the next blockbuster installment of the iconic franchise that has shaped entertainment history and defined a generation of gamers. Developed by 343 Industries, “Halo 4” continues the story of the series’ iconic hero the Master Chief as he returns to confront his destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe. “Halo 4” takes the series in a bold new direction by delivering its most epic and explorative campaign yet, alongside an emotionally resonant story and a groundbreaking multiplayer offering unlike anything before it – setting the stage for an epic new sci-fi saga.
The standard edition of “Halo 4” will be available for $59.99 (U.S. ERP), and the Limited Edition, which includes an extended 90-minute version of the live-action digital series “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” and additional bonus content, will be available for $99.99 (U.S. ERP). Fans can also pick up the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo 4” Console Bundle for $399.99 (U.S. ERP) and a standalone Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo 4” Wireless Controller for $59.99 (U.S. EPR).