I've been chatting with Anthony DeCicco from The Gamers Hub, who apparently has as soft a spot in his heart as I do for X-Blades and its associated games. Following the release of this weeks' Blades of Time trailer, DeCicco pointed me in the direction of the game's Wikipedia page, from which you can derive all sorts of facts about the game.
These facts seem unremarkable until you remember how mediocre X-Blades is and just how little Blades of Time's publisher has put into promoting the game. Always bear that in mind as you learn about a game I didn't even know existed until a week before its release.
Also bear in mind that I mock the game out of a genuine fondness for it. That, and I get to feel like I'm doing Konami's job.
The article continues below. Login to skip ads, get faster mobile, and dibs on betas
- Blades of Time is not a sequel to X-Blades, but a "spiritual successor," essentially making it a reboot of a game that nobody remembers.
- Ayumi has been redesigned to look less like an anime character, and now has a British accent. She used to sound like this. The new voice is a marked improvement.
- Destructoid has a preview of the game, and our writer seemed to genuinely like it. That makes the lack of promotion even more puzzling.
- Konami did not release a trailer for Blades of Time until almost a week before its release on March 6.
- Amazingly, they are putting a co-op campaign in the game.
- Even more amazingly, there will be a full competitive multiplayer mode.
- The combat system promises over forty skill sets including combo moves and tactics.
- Environments are said to consist of "huge" maps.
- Blades of Time is M-rated and will retail for $39.99
- The premise of the game is being able to turn back time, which is hilariously ironic.
- There is an official site full of huge amounts of information, none of which Konami has publicized.
- The official site says, "this character-driven story has a unique charm, banter and mystery all tits own."
- No, seriously. It says "tits" instead of "its." Pretty funny when you consider how much this series tries to sell the sex appeal of tits protagonist.
- Sorry, I mean "its" protagonist.