Some upcoming details for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron have hit the Internet (by way of NeoGAF) and there are some very exciting things on the cards. It seems somebody at High Moon Studios responded to all my harassment, with word that the Insecticons will play a part in the sequel.
As previously noted, the Dinobots will be in full force, and cold-hearted Decepticon officer Shockwave will apparently play a big role in the story. Other details include far larger battlefields with more enemies onscreen, a deeper customization mode for multiplayer, and a totally overhauled look for Optimus Prime and Megatron.
Oh yeah, and Gestalt Transformers (big robots made out of five smaller ones) will be part of the gameplay. Yes please!
Check out the (potentially spoiler-flavored) details below. I am pretty pumped!
The article continues below. Login to skip ads, get faster mobile, and dibs on betas
- Graphics are apparently amazing this time around. Alpha build looks like a finished War for Cybertron already.
- More varied environments. Players will travel a ruined and broken Cybertron during bright daylight as well as night. Some battlefields will be very wide and open.
- Many more enemies onscreen. Optimus Prime seen holding back a whole horde of Decepticons with a turret.
- Multiplayer to feature deeper customization options, including interchangeable armor parts and more varied color options for both robot and vehicle modes.
- Abilities are far more important in the single-player mode.
- Optimus Prime and Megatron getting visually overhauled. Optimus looks more like his G1 version, while Megatron has spiky, Energon-infused armor.
- Story has Decepticons overrunning Cybertron.
- One mission sees Jazz using a wrist-mounted grappling hook to zip across various access points, similar to Spider-Man in recent games.
- Shockwave to play a key role.
- Dinobots are screwed around with by Shockwave, explaining why they already turn into dinosaurs. The Insecticons revealed as another of Shockwave's experiments.
- Concept art shows Grimlock fighting an army of Kickbacks, Shrapnels and Bombshells, implying that the Insecticons' cloning ability will create swarms of generic enemies to fight.
- Starscream has a price put on his head by the Decepticons and accidentally frees the Dinobots while escaping Cybertron.
- Grimlock is a playable character. Unlike other characters, his style is almost entirely focused on melee. His transformation is apparently quite painful to watch, described as resembling Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk. He fights with his barbed tail, fire breath, and bites.
- Metroplex, the huge Autobot city, will be playable. He can step on squads of Decepticons.
- All five of the Combaticons will be playable and yes, they will form to create BRUTICUS, BITCH!
- Prime can call orbital strikes, possibly from Metroplex.