So, I watched all 4 conferences yesterday. Here's my take:
- MS had a WAY better showing than last year, but Sony had more surprises. Neither convinced me their consoles were worth buying before 2015, though--we didn't see much for the rest of 2014 that wasn't known already. So neither of them "won".
- The Order looks worse every time I see it. The gunplay doesn't look interesting at all.
- I'm so glad to see TJ Combo in Killer Instinct again. Can't wait to find out more about his playstyle.
- The Last Guardian being a no-show AGAIN didn't surprise me, even with all the IGN drama.
- MKX looks pretty damn cool.
- No Man's Sky looks amazing. I've never been big on procedurally generated content, but that game makes a hell of a case for it.
- The villain in Far Cry 4 is hilarious and awesome.
- The EA conference was dogshit. They had nothing to show for the new games announced last year, and the usual yearly stuff was boring.
- Way, WAY too much CG was used. It's still better than "in-engine" smoke and mirrors, but I prefer actual gameplay.
- I can't WAIT to play GTAV on PC.
- Batman: Arkham Knight looks incredible.
- Timed exclusivity, PC games being on one console before another, and exclusive DLC are never going to be a big deal to me, no matter how much the platform holders try to convince me otherwise.
All in all, the conferences were pretty good, but not Earth shattering. I went in wondering whether I should wait until next year to buy a new console; now I know I'm not buying them until then.
How did you feel about the conferences? Let me know in the comments.
LOOK WHO CAME: