Just realized the title is a username pun. Keeping it.
No rush. Unless you're like me and playing a Final Fantasy game AND an MMORPG.
It is no secret that I need help finishing games. However, I am sure that many of you do too. I started this blog series as a revival of the popular Dtoid forums thread where we cataloged our game completions as a community. Personally, I found that making a list helped me stay a little more dedicated to sticking with games until I a) decide that the game is poop and don't want to play anymore or, b) decide that the game is worth finishing and actually do that.
I know many of us have really large backlogs of games, no thanks to the HumbleBundle and Steam sales. Sometimes it just feels like all of that money was just pissed away. And you could also be missing some great games, you did decide to spend money on them after all. (Right? RIGHT?!) Also, shout out to SrChurros (whose name always makes me hungry for a snack) and his blog where he chronicles his journey playing through his backlog. It's worth a look, support him!
While this is a light competition, and a means to actually play your damn games, it's also just a fun way to share to the community what you've been doing. I hope to end the year with an in depth blog analyzing some of the trends, most popular game, most popular console (easily the PS4), and whatever other interesting things I can pick up from the data. We'll also be crowning the DTOID Gaming Champ.
Last month's interim game champ was GajKnight and he's also pretty well in the lead for the year too. Give him some competition, folks!
Here are the rules:
- The general consensus is that if you completed the story, you completed the game. If the game does not have a story, or a traditional end, then whatever you consider your end game is fine. Examples: Collecting every card in a CCG, beating the Ender Dragon in Minecraft, maxing out your rank in an online game, etc. Saw an end credits after playing for awhile? You probably can qualify as having completed the game.
- Please post the name of the games you completed, the total number of games, and organize them by platform. Please make sure your comment is a reply to my "POST YOUR LISTS HERE" comment. That will be the easiest way to make sure that I see it, thanks to Disqus notifcations. The same applies for your 100%'d achievememts and your Platinum trophies (or 100%'d trophies because I know of a few games without a Platinum). Oh, and if I make a mistake, but you fail to notice, then we both messed up, but I get to claim zero liability. :) (This is a shit ton to keep track of)
- Each game only counts once, but you can recount previously beaten games next year.
- If it's an episodic game, consider it completed when you clear the season, not the episode. We've gone back and forth on this in the forums, but I want to encourage completion. If it's new and the season isn't finished yet, go ahead and list it then. We chill. Just make sure to complete the subsequent episodes as they come out.
- If it's a collection like Megaman Legacy, just list the individual game. You can list the name of the collection next to the platform, if you like. Not necessary. Also, if it's a virtual console or Playstation classic game, give me the original console in that case.
- If it's an extensive DLC/Expansion, feel free to list it separately. If it is a standalone, list it. Has it's own credits sequence? List it. Example: Bloodborne's The Old Hunters, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels, FF4 The After Years
- Go ahead and list your visual novels and gamebooks. Example: Sorcery!, Lone Wolf Saga, Kolb & the Dragon (jk), Hatoful Boyfriend
- Feel free to list games you remember beating this year prior to this post. If this becomes popular, you can expect a new thread to come out in early January of next year and a year-end wrap up with some commentary about the most popular games and platforms in December. If you miss posting about a game before that last post in December, put it in for next year. You weren't slow, you just beat the game really fast!
- Whenever making new additions you can just reply to my "POST YOUR LISTS HERE" comment saying "New additions: [Insert Title]" and I will add it. Make sure to reply to me, not your original comment, so that I get a notification.
- If there are any questions, suggestions for new rules, or anything else feel free to post about it in the comments. If you notice I am missing anything in your completions list, feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions on how to better format the list in cblog form, I'd definitely appreciate it. It was neater in the forums.
GOLDEN RULE: This is Destructoid, we're better people here and I know it won't be an issue, but since a years worth of bragging rights may be on the line it's worth stating: Don't you lie to me. I will fuckin' find you and things will happen.
The August List: [29 games completed]
PC: Hyper Light Drifter, Inside; 3DS: Fire Emblem Echos; PS4: FF14 Stormblood; Switch: Splatoon 2; Mobile: Ridiculous Fishing
PS4: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
PS4: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Kona
Wii U: Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, Splatoon
Steam: Poi, Season of 12 Colors, Everlasting Summer; 3DS: Ever Oasis, Megaman 2
Michael Giff :
Wii U: Zelda BotW; NES: Darkwing Duck; N64: Star Fox
PSP: Valkyria Chronicles 2
PS4: Prey, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Torment: Tides of Numenera; Switch: Arms
PS4: Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Danganronpa: Trigger-Happy Havoc (1.2 Reload)
Want to see the complete master list? Click here!
- Also cocks.
LOOK WHO CAME: