At EVO Superbot had a pretty great, informative panel for PABR. if you missed it you can watch it http://www.twitch.tv//srkevo3/b/324019839?utm_campaign=archive_embed_click
(skip to 2:15)
Here is a summary if you dont want to watch the panal (you should though)
- Supers are earned by accumulating AP
- There are 3 levels of super, each level being more powerful than the last
- Supers can’t be blocked, but there are various ways to defend against them
- Level 1 supers are not as easy to land. Level 2 supers are more combo-able.
- Level 3 supers lockout all other supers. Example: While Kratos is in god-mode, no other super can be activated.
DEFENDING AGAINST SUPERS (Level 1 and Level 2)
- Supers can be avoided, dodged, or countered
- Supers can be dodged.
+ With half a frame on a roll. Several characters were shown doing this.
+ With a full frame on an air dodge. Big Daddy was able to air dodge Nate’s Lvl 1 propane tank super
- Supers can be evaded.
+ Sly was able to teleport outside of a super
+ A big focus is the air game which is used avoid many OTG supers
- Supers can be interrupted
+ Normals can be used to interrupt most level 1 supers which require a charge up.
+ Supers can be countered with other supers
- Throws can be used to eject, knockback, combo, and deplete meter
- With Infinite Avoidance System, characters don’t fall victim to infinite combos
+once you hit an AP threshold, your opponent gets ejected from the combo and placed into an invincible aerial state until they hit the ground.
- An extensive combo video was shown that will hopefully go into these mechanics.
- Every character has a rival - Heihachi and Toro (w/ Kuro) confirmed as rivals Multiplayer Mode
- Free For All (Customization options: Timed Mode, Stock Mode, Reverse Stock Mode) Combat Trials Training Mode
HOW ARE CHARACTERS SELECTED?
- interesting and unique gameplay is first and foremost
- characters people associate with playstation
- characters that make the game better
- not necessary a balance of era (PSX, PS2, PS3, etc)
- characters that are popular/niche
- character selections not entirely up to superbot
WHY WAS HEIHACHI INCLUDED AND WHAT’S HIS FIGHTING STYLE?
-He was a cool character
-Tekken is a playstation fighting game
-He is the patriach of the mishima family
+ up close, combo oriented
+ lots of dodge attacks to close the gap between him and his opponents
+ He has a move where he throws a bowling pin (an homage to Tekken 2)
+ His Lvl 3 Super is based off his Tekken 5 Ending
WHY WAS TORO INCLUDED AND WHAT’S HIS FIGHTING STYLE?
-Really big in japan
-Official playstation mascot
+ loves cosplay and wants to be human
+ each stance represents various fighting games (MK, SF, and Tekken)
- each level is this world meets this world and the music reflects that through remixes
- an OST is something Omar really wants to have happen for this game
- outfit for every character
- Alluded to potential customization options
+ New costumes confirmed
+ New characters plus a few other surprises
ONLINE DETAILS and POST LAUNCH PLANS
- Character adjustments can be made on the fly based on data collected of online matches played.
- They’re trying something new with the online so there’s no slowdown and the experience is the same across the board, different from most fighting games
- The plan is pack in as much content as they can on disc, and whoever they miss, they’ll work to add via DLC. That is of course going to be based on demand and other factors.
Looks like some worries I had about the game (not much depth, the super system) are resolved for me. Hopefully they have a demo for this game to really prove their words. If only they can change the terrible name and logo.