I know I'm into a game when I just can't think of anything else to write about in a FNF post.
The PS4 version of Warframe got a pretty big update recently, letting us run through The Cicero Crisis. Clock, Defenestrator, and I already ran through our required action there
It also added more frequent faction invasions and changed the Infested faction to more of a free agent. Instead of owning planets like the other two, they take over and spread through a planetary map. Along with adding a cool, dynamic feel to the missions and giving people more shots at playing on the slick invasion maps, these also give some pretty good rewards. Warframe is totally a free to play money sink, but it's not the only way. A Catalyst (doubles the mod points on weapons) is normally 20 platinum, the real money currency, but I've acquired two blueprints to craft them with totally free in-game shit in the last couple days, along with some already crafted, second-stage crafting materials that I can just keep in reserve until they're needed. Yes, there are crafting materials that need to be crafted themselves. Craftframe.
I guess that means I need to revise my stance on it. If the mere presence of optional microtransactions drives you into a rage, this isn't the game for you. The only things you can't acquire through gameplay are useless cosmetics, and there's a workaround even for that: spend other people's plat on them. Go find a rare mod and go to the trade channel to sell it. Yes, an annoying amount of stuff is behind a pay wall, but it's a wall you can pay your way through without using any of your money. Real money transactions aren't as vital as they seemed at first, but you are going to be in a situation where the mods people will buy from you with their platinum aren't going to show up for a while.
At the same time, I've also realized that free-to-play moneysinks from developers that don't know where they're going with a game and keep tossing in placebo "content" in the form of new guns and stuff instead of new things to do is what's going to kill the gaming industry. I know it was the hip thing to be "enlightened" and know what's going to bring the whole thing down, but so be it. It's not going to be DLC for retail games or getting too many iterations of Call of Duty, it's dead-end games that will fumble along in perpetual betas until the servers get shut off and hotfix-happy developers with no quality control making knee-jerk changes and updating games into the ground.
Basically, I'm having fun with the poison that will ruin my hobby. At least I'm not going to put any money into it.
Welcome to the Playstation side of Destructoid's Friday Night Fights! Every Friday, members of the Destructoid community get together online to play games and all you need to join is a user account. Down below, you'll find a list of games that we'll play tonight along with the times they'll start, the people that you should hit up for invites, and any other information that you may need.
If you want to play, leave a comment with the games from the schedule you want to play and your PSN name. You should also send a PSN friend request to the host, including a message to say who you are here on Destructoid so they know you're one of the cool people and not just some random friend request.
If your favorite game isn't on the schedule, host it yourself! You just need to give us the game, start time, and your PSN name so people know what, when and who. It's also wise to list DLC requirements, game or server names, and anything else people might need to join just so you don't need to message it to everyone individually. Last minute additions in the comments here are fine, but games can also be added earlier in the week by visiting the forums and finding the thread with the coming Friday's date. Adding a game there ensures it's on the blog from the moment it goes up.
Three day old threads are only visible to verified humans - this helps our small community management team stay on top of spam
Sorry for the extra step!
About PS FNFone of us since 12:46 AM on 09.05.2011
Welcome to the home of PlayStation Friday Night Fights.
Friday Night Fights is a weekly event where we, community members, cooperate with or murder each other online. There is a forum thread for planning and then a blog post here with the final schedule. Keep an eye out for both them if you want to play some games.
• Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list in the forums can change several times throughout the week.
• Leave a message with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.
• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.
• If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already.
• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.
• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.
• Check the comments, on both the forum post and the cblog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.