This is a new series I intend on doing. Other than gaming, a thing I really love is eating and drinking. For a while now I have been wanting to blog about the things I make and bake. Feeling like this doesn't belong on a gaming site such as Destructoid, I set off to find a cooking community. Though I did come across several very nice websites, non of them seemed to provide the blogging tools that I wanted.
So ... you know what? I say in the end it doesn't matter whether you're into gaming, flower arrangements or gay porn. No matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there're still some things that make us all the same and the fact that we all eat and drink is one of those. That's why I've decided to post some of my recipes here for all the gamers who feel like putting down their controllers and picking up a frying pan some time. In case you all do feel like this doesn't belong here, please let me know and I'll take my pots and pans elsewhere.
For starters let's do something from Mario and Luigi's homeland. Spaghetti Bolognaise
is one of those classics that everyone can make but nobody does in the exact same way. I always used to buy this ready made sauce and then just add some vegetables myself. Since I moved to Japan, I've had troubled finding a sauce like this and so I have decided to experiment with some spices myself and finally succeeded in making something that both me and my girlfriend enjoyed a lot. Let's get to it.
Time to make: About 1 hour
What you need
2 jars of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
200g mixed pork/beef minced meat
1 clove of garlic
1 large onion halved and sliced
1 green bell pepper cut in small pieces
half a teaspoon of thyme
half a teaspoon of oregano
pepper and salt
half a teaspoon of Mccormic Italian Seasoning... If you can't find this, herbes the provence will do just fine.
A small bush of parsley, chopped.
How to do it
I've divided this into three parts that can pretty much be done simultaneously.
* Put some olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for about 3 to 5 minutes.
* Put the meat in with the onion and use a wooden spoon to softly chop it in smaller pieces while it fries. Spice it up with some salt and pepper.
* Also add the oregano, thyme and Italian seasoning. (or herbes de provence)
* Fry until the meat is nice and brown. Lower the heat if necessary.
* Put some olive oil in a big pot and fry the bell peppers on medium heat for about 3 - 4 minutes. Stir often so they don't burn.
* Add the mushrooms and fry until they are starting to get a little soft but not completely squishy.
* Now add the sauce and diced tomatoes to the bell peppers and bring to a boil.
* Crush the garlic and add it to the sauce.
* Add the onions and meat you have just fried. and boil for a few minutes.
* Finally add the parsley and have the whole thing boil a little more until the bell peppers are soft enough to suit your taste.
* If you wish, you can put in some spicy peppers too.
* All done. Now just boil some pasta and just pour the sauce on it. I personally love to serve this with a shitload of grated cheese on top.
LOOK WHO CAME: