Friday at Comic-Con: My third day amongst the ravaging masses of cosplayers, nerds, geeks, tourists, and fat men with their Sinestro Corp shirts tucked into their jean shorts. Today, however, brought a nice change of pace...the Destructoid meet-up!
WHERE THE HELL WAS EVERYONE?
At about 1:15, Captain Blue, Nexium, and myself arrived at the meeting place to find Aborto and the rest of the SD Dtoid crew...yet, by 2:15, nobody had showed up at all!! We found The Bez for about five minutes, before he had to return to work. We also tried calling Colette...but her number has apparently changed, and her old one now gives us someone named Josh What gives people?? Hopefully we can have a better turn out tomorrow...
On with the story!
Today, Aborto and I essentially teamed up and made our way to the video games section of comic-con, and here are a few quick words about a few games we both tried out.
- Darksiders seems fun. Aborto had a lot of fun beating the shit out of stuff, but I got the idea that it played and felt just like a weird mash-up of DMC and GoW, but without trying anything new to make it seem fresh.
- Tatsunoko vs Capcom has me drooling at the mouth. I just can't get enough of the fighting system or the characters. Tatsunoko's characters are just a blast to play as because they're fighting styles are new, and they're fresh. It also led to a crazy tournament match, wherein two Ryu players ended up Shin-Hadoukening each other and canceling each other out until they dealt the last blow. Must have when it comes out.
- I want Marvel Vs Capcom 2 again. The re-release on XBLA and PSN can't come soon enough. Watching Seth Killian of Capcom commentate all the matches made me wanna take it home and practice so I could be crazy good. Watching the tourney was insane, but Aborto now knows how much I hate the Magneto, Storm, Sentinel team.
- Playing RE: Darkside chronicles was pretty cool. The camera is now done "cloverfield style", which can be distracting at first but it soon becomes easy to use and a fun mechanic to experience. The wii sensor bar in the booths seemed a little over sensitive, but that's just me nit-picking. I also got my zombie shirt, which I shall maybe take pics of later!!
- Lost Planet 2's multiplayer seems like it'll be a lot of fun. It doesn't seem tacked on like RE5's, and it ensures that everyone plays together -as a team-. Everyone shares "Thermal Energy", and when it reaches zero its donezo for everyone. The controls seem smoother too, so I can't wait to get my hands on the finished build.
In short, a good game line-up at SDCC...but what the hell, Dtoid?! When are you gonna show up for an official meet-up? Hopefully, we can have a better turnout tomorrow.
TLDR: I'm better at fighters than Aborto, by a score of about 3 matches to 1 match.