Here we are, on the cusp of a New Year. 2012 is almost over over, ready to usher in a new and exciting year with a new and exciting number!
I know we all say this at some point and I know it's cliche but damn, where the hell did the year go? I can't believe how fast this year went. For me it's been an interesting year, major changes happened this year, I moved from Chicago back to Orlando, found out that I may be moving to the Czech Republic in less than a year and then finally, as if all that wasn't enough, I got married.
I've also found myself slowing down my gaming over the past year. I haven't posted a "Haul Blog" in almost a year, I've all but stopped collecting (at least hardcore collecting). I only attended 2 midnight launches where I would have normally been to all of them, if just for the experience and to hang out with friends.
I've also realized that I don't have as much time to game as I used to, this is probably the main reason why my gaming and collecting has slowed so much. There have been some great moments in gaming for me though this year and I figure this is as good a time as ever to mention a few of my favorites and a few of my biggest disappointments.
Favs: Spec-Ops: The Line
- One of the best story's in a game that I've played all year.
: - A return to true survival horror. An awesome experience that I highly recommend.
Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Probably my favorite game of the year. Amazing story, fantastic voice acting and pretty damn impressive visuals.
: - I thought it was a glorified fireplace simulator, I couldn't have been more wrong. What an amazing game.
- Pretty much what Diablo III should have been.
- (It was new to me, so there!) - Absolutely loved this game and the soundtrack is incredible.
: - I wasn't expecting much from this game, but boy was I more than pleasantly surprised at how well everything came together.
- Hands down my favorite "Indie" game this year. And now for a couple of my big disappointments: Lollipop Chainsaw:
- I own pretty much every Suda game made, and I've beaten all but two of them, Lollipop Chainsaw is one of them. I had super high hopes for this one, couldn't stop talking about it, reading about it, watching videos about it. Then I got it. Let's just say that I couldn't bring myself to even care enough to finish it. Only reason why I haven't given it away is because I want it for my "Suda" collection.
Batman: Arkham City:
- Another game I was super psyched about, but after playing for a few hours I just didn't care anymore. I'm not sure why I stopped caring, maybe it was because It felt like more of the same and I was expecting something different. As Monk would say "Shrug".
- How long did I wait for this game? 10 years? It wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't what I wanted. Torchlight II was pretty much better in every way, at least for me.
So tell me, Dtoiders, what were your favorites, how about disappointments? Share with the class in the comments below.
New to Friday Night Fights? It's easy to get involved!
Each week, a bunch of us Dtoiders get together to play videogames online! It's a 100% community-run event, so feel free to join in or even host something yourself!
The planning for FNF starts in the forums
, where community members volunteer to host matches and post their pertinent details (game, time, Gamertag, etc.). Then, every Friday, reminder posts go up here in the cblogs followed by a recap post on the front page on the front page for last-minute planning.
To join in, simply send a friend request to the match host! (Don't forget to say you're from Dtoid!) If you'd rather host something yourself, just post your details below in the following format:
Xbox Live Gamertag
Time (Eastern please!)
We hope to see you online!
Here's this week's schedule...
Halo 4 Host:
Scield Gamertag: Scield Time:
7:30 PST | 10:30 EST
LOOK WHO CAME: