For such a short level todays pick is rather spooky. I can appreciate this kind of detail and care. It really shows throughout the whole game and it was a major success for them, so much so it would define most of the series from here on out.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night: The Abandoned Pit to the Abyss
There isn’t necessarily a lack of spooky music in SoTN, but for such a short level that equates to a drop down a pit it is very atmospheric and foreboding. So much so that it beats out The Catacombs and even its reverse side counterparts the Cave/The Floating Catacombs in those categories.
Many tracks in this game start solemn or spooky and then liven up about 30 seconds in which is great in many cases. It reflects the action packed nature of the game as you back dash your way to victory. The Abandoned pit however does not. Not once does it liven up for the short time you may be in there. The piano continues its ominous tune as the creatures of the pit continue to cry into the abyss without ceasing.
What makes this even creepier is that it leads to Cerberus which is traditionally the guard dog to the entrance of hell. Keeping that in mind it is easy to see why this area has such a dark theme. The Abandoned pit to the Abyss, where only the dead and forgotten remain. By Far the most naturally unsettling zone in SoTN.
Three day old threads are only visible to verified humans - this helps our small community management team stay on top of spam
Sorry for the extra step!
About Agent9one of us since 12:45 PM on 04.13.2010
Who is Agent9? The not so secret agent of the destructoid community.
A Few things about me
- I'm almost finished with my degree in computer science and I plan on going into independent development and freelancing once I'm done.
- I can be very cynical, but I do try to be positive or curb my negativity. In spite of this I'm actually very jovial in person and I don't get mad often. I would dare say I'm quite happy, even when things seem bleak. I simply don't like industry Bullshit and I'm not one to stand for it, even if it's a game I like.
- I host a series annually called 31 Days where I post 1 horror related or themed video game song a day for the month of october. During this time I also provide keys for games (free of course) to any reader observant enough to find them.
- I've been a member of destructoid since 2010, and a lurker long before then. As such I've seen many people both come and go. Such is the natural order of things.
- I enjoy Art and draw in my spare time
- I also enjoy theatre and films. I especially like Horror movies (both good and bad ones).
- I go camping once or twice a year. I would go out more but my allergies tend to get in the way.
- I don't drink, which may be a surprise to some. I might make a joke or two about it but I stay away from alcohol for my own personal reasons, though you can feel free to drink a pint on my behalf any time you'd like.
My Top 20 Games (By the ever Illustrious Dango
I also got a musical piece made for me by the incredible Alphadeus. A little history behind this:
My musical piece came as part of the Songs for Gamers album DLC pack 02. Alphadeus has been making songs for the members of the destructoid community for years already. This past year he opened submissions and I applied. For my meagre efforts I received this lovely piece: