I want to take a minute and talk about a piece of hardware as opposed to a game itself. A couple of months ago I picked up on one hell of a sale the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset. I first spotted it about six months ago and wanted to know, "What's the difference between mixed reality and virtual reality?" I was told at the time that mixed reality was more augmented reality so I left it alone. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Mixed reality most certainly is virtual reality albeit with a few more steps to get to the good stuff. However, with the Steam VR client installed getting to the good stuff is well worth the extra step!
- it is a little more affordable than Oculus or Vive for those on a budget.
- It is tremendously easy to set up.
- It integrates flawlessly with the Windows Mixed Reality Portal and through that the Steam VR client.
- It doesn't require a base station or tracking pylons for the motion controllers...alghough:
- The motion controllers can have tracking issues. I've found them to be rare but every so often my hands look like they're a good meter away from me.
- You have to launch the mixed reality portal BEFORE you launch the Steam VR client. Doing it in reverse just doesn't work.
- The motion controllers drink batteries like I drink iced tea. Get and keep rechargeable batteries. You'll thank me.
- Would I recommend this headset? Absolutely. Now pardon me while I get back on the bridge of the Enterprise..
LOOK WHO CAME: