A veritable plethora of Final Fantasy news courtesy of Famitsu

   Square Enix Party ’07 might be over, but that’s no reason for the hype train to stop rolling. The fine folks at Destructoid have gathered more new information, images, and Famitsu scansthan you can shake a stick at — new info on Crystal Bearers, Final Fantasy IV, Dissidia, and Crisis Core ahead.

 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers (Wii)

Japanese ubermag Famitsu has the very first images of Sqaure Enix’ upcoming Wii title (which you can see here and here in the gallery) as well a itsy bitsy smidgeon of information. Executive producer Akitoshi Kawazu and director Toshiyuki Itahana shed a little bit of light on the setting of the game, which seems to be pretty standard: magic, monsters, adventures, and crystals. Interestingly, however, players start off with a powerful, heroic character, as opposed to a weakling who must grow into a hero as in most other Final Fantasy games (and indeed, RPGs in general). The goal, Kawazu said, is to portray truly heroic actions in various situations.

Another interesting topic is that of the controls. Crystal Bearesrs will use the Wii-mote and the nunchuk to control players in and out of battle. The controls are still being fine-tuned, with an emphasis on simplicity, said Itahana. Call me prosaic, but I don’t know anything more simple than a D-pad and the X button. That being said, there’s one RPG tradition that I won’t be upset to see left behind. New controls? Yes, please.

[via NGC and IGN; thanks, BlindsideDork!!]

Hit the jump for more. Lots more.

 Final Fantasy IV (DS)

Again, Famitsu has the scoop on Final Fantasy IV, with the first images (here and here) and another interesting interview with Takashi Tokita, lead game deigner for both the SNES original and the DS version. Matrix Software, the team responsible for the DS port of Final Fantasy III will also be in charge of FFIV — consequently, the same graphics engine will be used.  

However, it won’t just be bells and whistles. The original version apparently only included about 25% of the intended script. Thankfully, the DS version will include the remaining 75% of the original concept. I kind of wish the rest of the Square Enix rerelease team would take note: this is a rerelease done right. Don’t just repackage it and make it shiny!

Also, make sure to check out a Shonen Jump scan, as well as Final Fantasy IV‘s recently-opened official site.

[via Jeux-France and NGC, thanks BlindsideDork and Matthew!!]

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP)

Unfortunately, there’s not exactly a lot of information availble about Dissidia, which is understandable since it was only announced a few days ago. There are, however, some Shonen Jump scans (here and here) and Famitsu scans (here and here).

What we do know is that it will be a 3D action game based on “Dramatic Progressive Action” (whatever that means), and that Tetsuya Nomura will be the character designer. Furthermore, in a move reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts or Ehrgeiz, the game will feature characters from throughout the Final Fantasy series, especially the Light Warriors and Garland (from FFI) and Zidane and Kuja (from FFIX, my personal favorite). There will also be up to 10 playable heroes to keep you occupied.

[via Jeux-France and VidegamerX, thanks to eddy dj for the tip and special thanks to Dick McVengeance and his Japanator team for translation help!!]

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)

Not much in the way of new information for Crisis Core, just a Japanese release date of September 13. There will also be a limited edition “Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary” package that will include Ayaka’s “Why” (the theme of the game) and a neato-burrito replica Potion (pictures of which can be found here, here, here, and here).

To keep with thetheme of the post (and to further hype a game that looks amazing), there are some Famitsu scans in the gallery (here, here, here, and here).

[via Jeux-France]

Joseph Leray