The 3DS is coming out on February 26 in Japan and March in Europe and North America. The handheld is also going to run for ¥25000 (about $300). So what’s under the hood for that much money?
Well for starters, the unit will come with a charging stand, AC adapter, touch pen, 2GB SD memory card and 6 AR cards (for the alternative reality game that comes with the 3DS. As for the specs, everything is detailed below.
Nintendo Formally Announces 3DS Price & Date [Andriasang]
- 3.53 inches, wide screen with naked eye 3D support, 800×240 pixel resolution
- 3.02 inches, 320×240 pixels
- One camera on the inside, two cameras on the outside. Each camera is 0.3 megapixels (640×480)
- 2.4GHz. Can exchange data with other 3DS units through Surechigai (Tag Mode). Can connect to the internet via wireless LAN access points (compatible with WPA/WPA2 IEEE802.11 security).
- A/B/X/Y, D-pad, L/R, Start/Select, Slide Pad (360 degree analogue input), Touch Screen, Internal Mic, Camera, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor
- 3D Volume (can smoothly adjust degree of 3D output), Home Button (for opening the Home menu), Wireless Switch (can turn off wireless even while in mid-game), Power Button
- Game Card Slot, SD Memory Card Slot, AC Adapter Connection, Charge Connection, Headphone Connection
- Stereo Speakers on the left and right of the top screen
- Can be contracted. Max length 10cm
- Lithium Ion Battery
- Nintendo 3DS exclusive game cards. Size is the same as DS cards. Max memory capacity will be 2 gigabytes at system launch
Enjoy 3D images with the naked eye on the top screen.
You can adjust the 3D volume to change the 3D feel, and can also make it 2D.
A stereo camera that can take 3D pictures
Includes 2 external cameras. When you take 3D pictures, they can be viewed on the spot.
New input interfaces
Slide Pad, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor
Itsunoma ni Tsuushin
When the 3DS is in sleep mode, the system will automatically seek out Nintendo Zone and wireless LAN access points and will grab information, game data, free games, videos and other things from the internet. The name, incidentally, translates to something along the lines of “Wireless Communication When You Weren’t Expecting It.”
Surechigai Tsuushin/Tag Mode
When the 3DS is in sleep mode, it will automatically exchange data with other 3DS systems. The system can transfer data from multiple games simultaneously.
Functionality For Use Without Leaving Games
Home Menu, Internet Browser, Notice List
A Variety of Software Built In
Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Studio, Surechigai/Tag Mode Mii Plaza, AR Games, Omoide Kirokuchou (Memory Recording Notebook) and more
Download Sales of Games
In addition to buying games, you can view introductory videos and rankings
Transfer Over Software and Data
You’ll be able to transfer your already purchased download software to 3DS. This includes DSi Ware games from DSi and DSi LL.
In addition to playing games made for 3DS, the system can also play DSi and DS games.
You can set play restrictions based off game ratings. You can also limit browser use and other areas. Parental Controls have been improved from the DSi versions.