As I mentioned yesterday, the Great Retro Quiz! is going on a little break. I hope you all had as much fun taking
the quizzes as I had putting them together. Any suggestions for the next "season" are more than welcome. Harder questions? New categories? More obscure games?
As for yesterday's quiz
, well, you guys are awesome. Even the people that thought they weren't going to do well received a pretty good score.
How did you do? You can check the correct answers below (in bold
1. Push what?
[picture of Super Mario Kart title screen]
2. Add up all the engine classes. What number do you get?
There are three engine classes in all the Mario Kart games: 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc.
3. All of the following are cups in Super Mario Kart except:
a. [picture of mushroom]
b. [picture of flower]
c. [picture of star]
d. [picture of lightning] The lightning cup didn�t make an appearance until Mario Kart DS.
4. How many total tracks are in Super Mario Kart?
5. Which of the below tracks doesn�t exist?
a. Choco Island 2
b. Mario Circuit 4
c. Vanilla Lake 2
d. Koopa Beach 3
6. Which classic character from the Mario universe rescues racers who have fallen off the track?
a. [picture of Paragoomba]
b. [picture of Lakitu]
c. [picture of Koopa Paratroopa]
d. [picture of Boo]
He also holds the lap signs.
7. True or false: Donkey Kong is a playable character in Super Mario Kart.
b. False Oddly enough, it is actually Donkey Kong Jr. that is a playable character.
Pair up the characters that share the same driving class:
8. [picture of Mario] (b.)
9. [picture of Peach] (c.)
10. [picture of Toad] (d.)
11. [picture of Bowser] (a.)
a. [picture of Donkey Kong Jr.]
b. [picture of Luigi]
c. [picture of Yoshi]
d. [picture of Koopa Troopa]
12. Mario just picked up a coin. What happened?
a. He can now drive faster
b. He can now jump higher
c. He can now pick up better items
d. He can now turn tighter
I miss the coins. They need to make a welcome return to the series.
13. What is the name of the famous final track that is featured in every single version of Mario Kart?
a. Star Highway
b. Rainbow Valley
c. Mushroom Pass
d. Rainbow Road I may argue that Mario Kart Wii has the best Rainbow Road track ever. Who�s with me?!
Which Super Mario Kart items will help the below poor souls solve their problems?
a. [picture of red turtle shell]
b. [picture of lighting blot]
c. [picture of Boo]
d. [picture of feather]
14. Marty the model is too tall for the job he wants to book. He needs to shrink down ... (b.)
15. Ginny the gymnast can�t seem to jump high enough to clear the vault. She needs to jump higher ... (d.)
16. Sal the submarine pilot is having trouble hitting his target. He needs to attach something to the torpedoes ... (a.)
17. Theo the thief keeps getting busted when he tries to mug a passerby. If only he could steal something without being detected ... (c.) The red turtle shell serves as a heat-seeking missile of sorts, the lightning bolt shrinks your competition, the Boo steals an item from another racer, and the feather allows your driver to jump higher.
18. An intense race just ended, with all the racers finishing in the below order (the leftmost driver being last). Who just avoided being eliminated from the next round?
[picture of Mario, Peach, Bowser, Koopa Troopa, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong Jr. Toad]
b. Koopa Troopa
Only the top 4 drivers advance to the next race.
19. How many points does a racer receive for coming in first during a Grand Prix race?
Strange, but true.
20. Ever since the Super Mario Kart awards ceremony, who hates champagne corks?
a. [picture of Cheep Cheep]
b. [picture of Blooper]
c. [picture of Spiny]
d. [picture of Beetle]
During the awards ceremony at the end of a cup, a giant Cheep Cheep-shaped balloon is popped by the cork coming from the 1st place contestant�s champagne bottle.
See you next season!