It seems like a lot of critics are dismissing Donkey Kong Country
all of these years later, saying the game was overrated. I really don�t understand that. Donkey Kong Country
is awesome and one of the best platformers on the Super Nintendo (and that's saying a lot).
Thanks to everyone for participating in yesterday's quiz
. Like always, you guys are amazing. My fingers would hurt from all the smiley faces I want to type to express my love.
How do you think you did on the quiz? Did you earn a dolphin badge? You can check all the correct answers below (in bold
1. During the game�s opening sequence, what is Cranky Kong playing music on?
a. [picture of an old piano]
b. [picture of a gramophone]
c. [picture of a violin]
d. [picture of a harmonica]
2. Ridiculously easy question of the week! Who is Donkey Kong�s playable partner in Donkey Kong Country?
a. Diddy Kong
b. Dixie Kong
c. Lanky Kong
d. Tiny Kong
3. Quick, tag that partner!
a. [picture of Super Nintendo �Y� face button]
b. [picture of Super Nintendo �X� face button]
c. [picture of Super Nintendo �B� face button]
d. [picture of Super Nintendo �A� face button] You push the �A� button on the SNES controller to tag and switch places with your partner.
4. The advanced graphic technique in Donkey Kong Country was also used in what awesome fighting game?
a. Mortal Kombat
b. Street Fighter
c. Killer Instinct
d. Bloody Roar
5. Which of the below is not one of the worlds in Donkey Kong Country?
a. Monkey Mines
b. Gorilla Glacier
c. Chimp Caverns
d. Baboon Bayou
6. Little Molly Jenkins loves going to the Donkey Kong Country petting zoo. Which animal, though, does she never get to ride?
a. [picture of Rambi the Rhinoceros]
b. [picture of Expresso the Ostrich]
c. [picture of Winky the Frog]
d. [picture of Squawks the Parrot] Although he is very helpful, you can�t actually ride Squawks the parrot in the game.
7. Golden letters are hidden throughout each level in Donkey Kong Country. What word do they spell when found?
8. Analogy fun! Super Mario Bros. 1UP : Green mushroom : : Donkey Kong Country 1UP :
a. Blue balloon
b. Green balloon
c. Red balloon
d. Glowing barrel
The red balloon gives you one extra life in the game.
9. What image appears on the save barrels?
a. [picture of a star]
b. [picture of DK logo]
c. [picture of a Rare logo]
d. [picture of a banana]
10. The �vehicle� levels in Donkey Kong Country are some of the most well known (and fun!) in the game. Which Indiana Jones movie could have inspired them?
a. Raiders of the Lost Ark
b. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
c. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
d. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The �vehicle� levels I am referring to are the amazing (but ridiculously hard) mine cart stages. They are almost perfect reenactments of the incredible mine cart chase near the end of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
11. Funky Kong offers Donkey Kong a specific service in Donkey Kong Country. If he were to perform a similar duty in the real world, what job would Funky Kong most likely take?
b. Surfing instructor
d. Pilot Funky runs a flight service and will �fly� you to any world in the game.
12. Which character performs the following gymnastics move?
[video of cartwheel]
a. Donkey Kong
b. Diddy Kong By the way, the girl in that video is amazing.
Match the animal buddy with the crate it hides out in:
a. [picture of Enguarde crate]
b. [picture of Expresso crate]
c. [picture of Rambi crate]
d. [picture of Winky crate]
13. Rambi (c.)
14. Expresso (b.)
15. Enguarde (a.)
16. Winky (d.)
17. What kind of item does Donkey Kong bounce on to jump higher?
a. A tire
b. A spring
c. A pogo stick
d. A trampoline
18. Cranky Kong could be cranky for all of the following reasons except?
a. Mario stole Daisy away from him years ago in the original Donkey Kong
b. No one listens to the helpful stage hints he provides in each world
c. Donkey Kong plays his boom box too loud during the game�s opening
d. He didn�t get to be a playable character in the Donkey Kong Country sequel
The only false statement in the bunch is �A.� It was actually Jumpman and Pauline, not Mario and Daisy that starred in the original Donkey Kong (along with Cranky, who was the original DK). Cranky does provide stage hints, Donkey Kong does play his boom box in the opening sequence, and Cranky is not a playable character in Donkey Kong Country 2. This was a tough one.
19. Who is the final boss of Donkey Kong Country?
a. [picture of Queen Bee]
b. [picture of King K. Rool]
c. [picture of Manky Kong]
d. [picture of Dumb Drum]
20. Ridiculously hard question of the week! How many lives does Donkey Kong have after the following sequence of events? (Keep in mind that he starts with 3.)
-Donkey Kong grabs a red balloon.
-Donkey Kong picks up 50 bananas.
-Donkey Kong grabs a green balloon.
-Donkey Kong grabs a red balloon.
-Donkey Kong picks up 7 banana bunches.
-Donkey Kong grabs two blue balloons.
-Donkey Kong picks up 83 bananas.
Red balloon = 1 extra life; Blue balloon = 2 extra lives; Green balloon = 3 extra lives; 100 bananas = 1 extra life; One banana bunch = 10 bananas. Do the math. :)
Check back next week for a very special quiz #30!