Hello everyone and welcome to day 16 of 31 Days. Today’s Song is:
Slayaway Camp: Dampe’s Diary
(If you can’t hear it or the name slips past you this song is actually reminiscent of the underground caves in the N64 Zelda games. The name is also a reference to the lovable Grave Keeper Dampe and his diary which can be read in his shack)
Slayaway Camp was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I saw Jim Sterling cover it on his YouTube channel and I thought it was interesting, so I bought it. I love the idea and aesthetic of the game. Basically you play VHS tapes that unlock different killers in each one. Each killer has their own unique kill animation and a host of shared ones you can unlock by buying them in the VHS store. At its heart Slayaway Camp is a puzzle game with a campy horror theme that works really well. The problem is that each VHS tape unfortunately outstays their welcome. Midway through the game felt like a slog and so I would only play a few levels at a time before I had my fill. I suppose the problem is that there is not enough variety or uniqueness in each tape to carry the game. Things feel samey and the game loses its charm should you play it for too long.
That said however it can still be a fun experience in moderation. Should you find it on sale I would recommend it.
Three day old threads are only visible to verified humans - this helps our small community management team stay on top of spam
Sorry for the extra step!
About Agent9one of us since 12:45 PM on 04.13.2010
Who is Agent9? The not so secret agent of the destructoid community.
A Few things about me
- I'm almost finished with my degree in computer science and I plan on going into independent development and freelancing once I'm done.
- I can be very cynical, but I do try to be positive or curb my negativity. In spite of this I'm actually very jovial in person and I don't get mad often. I would dare say I'm quite happy, even when things seem bleak. I simply don't like industry Bullshit and I'm not one to stand for it, even if it's a game I like.
- I host a series annually called 31 Days where I post 1 horror related or themed video game song a day for the month of october. During this time I also provide keys for games (free of course) to any reader observant enough to find them.
- I've been a member of destructoid since 2010, and a lurker long before then. As such I've seen many people both come and go. Such is the natural order of things.
- I enjoy Art and draw in my spare time
- I also enjoy theatre and films. I especially like Horror movies (both good and bad ones).
- I go camping once or twice a year. I would go out more but my allergies tend to get in the way.
- I don't drink, which may be a surprise to some. I might make a joke or two about it but I stay away from alcohol for my own personal reasons, though you can feel free to drink a pint on my behalf any time you'd like.
My Top 20 Games (By the ever Illustrious Dango
I also got a musical piece made for me by the incredible Alphadeus. A little history behind this:
My musical piece came as part of the Songs for Gamers album DLC pack 02. Alphadeus has been making songs for the members of the destructoid community for years already. This past year he opened submissions and I applied. For my meagre efforts I received this lovely piece: