. Supposedly, Sony is going to be selling their microchip production facilities to Toshiba to help reduce costs. Toshiba if you will remember (and NEC) helped create the HD-DVD format.
Direct quote from the Reuters post
“To secure a stable supply of chips for its game machines after the possible sale, Sony is considering to set up a joint venture with Toshiba to take over actual production activities at the manufacturing facilities, the sources said.”
What does this mean?
Probably nothing (but it doesn’t prevent me from speculating).
• Will Toshiba’s stance change regarding Blu-Ray?
• Could we see several PS3 price drops from this cost reduction measure from Sony?
• Could this affect the PSP as well?
• Will we actually start seeing the Cell process on other electronic devices?
• Could Toshiba later ink a deal with Sony (if their business relationship continues to improve) to bring certain Blu-Ray exclusives to HD-DVD? Like the greatest film of our time- Basic Instinct 2. (<- DEAR LORD, PLEASE UNDERSTAND I’M JOKING)