I just want to say that I think all of you are amazing. Not only are you participating in the quizzes, but you all are performing pretty darn well. I am impressed!
Hopefully I am not speaking too soon, though ...
Check the correct answers below (in bold
) to see how you did on yesterday's quiz
. Have any of you earned gold medals on all the events so far?
1. In the below stage from TurboGrafx-16 classic Bonk’s Adventure, what is Bonk swimming inside of?
[picture of Bonk’s Adventure water stage]
a. A volcano
b. A ruby palace
c. A cave
d. A dinosaur’s stomach
2. What relic is needed to travel safely under the water in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?
a. Cube of Zoe
b. Holy Symbol
c. Fairie Scroll
d. Merman Statue
Just in case you picked it, the Merman Statue actually summons the ferryman.
3. Which of the following underwater enemies cannot be killed in Donkey Kong Country?
a. [picture of octopus]
b. [picture of fish]
c. [picture of piranha]
d. [picture of jellyfish]
4. In Chrono Trigger, what kingdom is the Ocean Palace located in?
5. Rydia’s “father” or Rydia’s “mother”? Who can summon a giant wave?
a. [picture of Rydia’s “father”]
b. [picture of Rydia’s “mother”]
The “father” of all the summons is Leviathan, and he can call forth a giant wave.
6. The secret underwater Minus World from the original Super Mario Bros. can be accessed from what stage?
7. Which of the below groups takes a wild whitewater river ride back to Narshe?
a. [picture of Locke]
b. [picture of Banon/Terra/Edgar]
c. [picture of Sabin]
8. Goonies II memories! Is the below waterfall a part of the background or an obstacle you have to avoid?
[picture of Goonies II waterfall]
b. Obstacle! I love The Goonies II
9. What kind of aquatic animals are bombed for points in the bonus stages of NES craptastic game Jaws?
a. [picture of jellyfish]
b. [picture of stingray #1]
c. [picture of shark]
d. [picture of stingray #2]
I hate to admit it, but I still play Jaws once and awhile. I am ashamed.
10. True or false: Sonic the Hedgehog (in his first game) does not need any assistance to breathe underwater.
b. False Sonic needs to collect air bubbles to prevent him from drowning while under the water.
11. What item does Link retrieve from the Water Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
a. [picture of Fairy Bow]
b. [picture of Hookshot]
c. [picture of Longshot]
d. [picture of Megaton Hammer]
12. If you stay in the water too long in Snake Rattle ‘n Roll, what kind of creature comes to attack you?
a. A shark
b. An electric eel
c. A sea monster
d. A piranha
13. All of the below Mega Man bosses reside in water stages except:
a. [picture of Bubble Man]
b. [picture of Dive Man]
c. [picture of Needle Man]
d. [picture of Wave Man]
14. Tutorial schmutorial! What classic game throws players right into the action by teleporting main character Lester to the bottom of a deep lake right after the opening sequence?
a. Flashback: The Quest for Identity
b. Out of this World
c. Heart of Darkness
d. Heart of the Alien
Out of this World is one of the most amazingly cinematic experiences you will even have playing a retro game.
Match the aquatic enemy with the Mario game it appears in:
a. [picture of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island enemy]
b. [picture of Super Mario Bros. 3 enemy]
c. [picture of Super Mario Bros. enemy]
d. [picture of Super Mario World enemy]
15. Super Mario Bros. (c.)
16. Super Mario Bros. 3 (b.)
17. Super Mario World (d.)
18. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (a.)
19. Are you ready for a ridiculously hard question? What shiny item do you find while scuba diving at the bottom of the Cotton Cove River in Police Quest II: The Vengeance?
a. A car key
b. A marked coin
c. A police badge
d. A bullet
In addition to the badge, your character Sonny also finds a knife and a -- gasp! -- body.
20. Which of the below suits allows Samus free movement underwater in Super Metroid?
a. [picture of Varia Suit]
b. [picture of Power Suit]
c. [picture of Gravity Suit]
Check back tomorrow (8/21) for fencing