| 1:00 PM on 06.14.2013||
Mutilate those Mudds
Mutant Mudds Deluxe is out for the Wii U, and alongside of its retro charm, it brings a fairly hefty challenge when you get down to the later levels. In addition to the already formidable Grannie stages from the PC version of the game, all new ghost levels have been incorporated into the fray, featuring invulnerable enemies.
Here's a few quick tips to get you on the right track to earning 100%.
- In order to unlock Grannie mode, you have to complete everything in the original game (the first world map you're standing in when the game starts) -- including 100% of the game's secret doors (below). After you finish that task, quit back to the title screen and press "up" to switch to Grannie. You'll find that you can use her in the new Ghost levels as well, so if those are giving you trouble, beat the original game first.
- Keep in mind that Grannie can use all three power-ups at once. Each stage has a Grannie level hidden inside of it (CGA-Land), and you'll need to use two to three power-ups each to reach it.
- Attempt to get as many of the 100 collectibles in each stage as early as possible. You'll unlock upgrades that will make the later stages easier -- specifically, the last high-jump ability (press up and jump at the same time).
- Get used to hover-canceling. Sometimes hovering even a few inches off the ground and tapping to descend can be beneficial when traversing gaps.
- If you jump up and hover at the peak of your jump you'll be slightly higher than a normal jump peak. This enables you to shoot some otherwise "unshootable" enemies on high platforms. [Contributed by Renegade Kid's Jools Watsham]
- The new real estate provided in the HD version of the game is beneficial when sniping projectile-based foes. Use the full TV to your advantage, as you slightly out-range the Mudds that fire at you from afar.
- Take advantage of the checkpoints from the PC version. Get every collectible up until that point, so it "saves" your collectible progress.
The secret doors:
In order to access the secret doors in each level (such as V-Land), you need to utilize the following power-ups in each stage. You can only use one power-up at a time, hence this list of what to bring. For reference, "1" is on the top left of each level set, "2" is on the top right, "3" is on the bottom left, and "4" is on the bottom right.
1-4 Bullet power-up
2-2 High-jump or hover power-up
2-4 Bullet power-up
3-1 Hover power-up
3-4 High-jump or hover power-up
4-1 Bullet power-up
4-2 High-jump or hover power-up
4-3 Bullet power-up
4-4 High-jump or hover power-up
5-1 High-jump or hover power-up
5-2 Bullet power-up
5-3 Bullet power-up