E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy released very recently and I've been playing it for review. Unfortunately, the game is so deep, and its progression so random, that it might take me a while before I feel I've played enough to truly slap a score on the thing.
However, the game can't not be talked about, so I thought I'd tantalize you with a few facts about what is the weirdest, most confusing first-person-shooter I've ever seen. If you have a PC and a lot of time on your hands, this is one game you need to experience. Here are some examples why.
- Hacking is a turn-based JRPG-style combat simulator within a menu subscreen. If you fail a hack, your intended victim will upload a virus to your own body and screw with your character. In other words, I once tried to hack a door, and the door hacked back.
- Your character has a stat governing his mental health. This determines the likelihood of him suffering various mental issues, such as paranoia and madness. Once, my character became too "terrified" to use his gun.
- The game boasts thirty-two-player co-op and it's as ludicrous as it sounds.
- Various special abilities include the power to clone yourself and the power to teleport inside the body of an enemy, thus making him explode. With a range of psychic abilities, physical upgrades, and huge weapons, you have the potential to become God-like and the flexibility to become a psychic powerhouse, gun-toting war machine, hacking expert or stealthy prince.
- E.Y.E is basically like Deus Ex would have been if Eidos had spent its time licking toads and drinking Red Bull.
- Reloading before you've totally emptied a clip wastes whatever bullets remain, just like real-life. It's a small change to the way we usually play shooters, but it has a huge impact on the game.
- It's full of delightfully charming broken English. This is typified on the posters that litter the environment, almost all of which feature women with very little clothing and big guns ... for no good reason.
- Ladies in white cocktail dresses sometimes appear with gigantic machine guns that rip you apart. I have not yet worked out why.
- This game is FUCKING INSANE and these facts only scratch the surface.