Welcome to another edition of the Great Retro Quiz!, the weekly feature that puts your knowledge of classic videogames to the test!
This week is all about Donkey Kong Country for the Super Nintendo Entertainment. I assume a lot of you have played this game -- it is the second bestselling game on the SNES after all -- but how well do you remember it? Do you know who Cranky Kong really is? What the heck is a “Winky?” Take the quiz to find out.
Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (4/24) to see how many you got right.
It’s time to channel your inner tie-wearing simian. Good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz! .29
Category: Donkey Kong Country
Number of questions: 20
1. During the game’s opening sequence, what is Cranky Kong playing music on?
2. Ridiculously easy question of the week! Who is Donkey Kong’s playable partner in Donkey Kong Country?
a. Diddy Kong
c. Lanky Kong
d. Tiny Kong
3. Quick, tag that partner!
4. The advanced graphic technique in Donkey Kong Country was also used in what awesome fighting game?
a. Mortal Kombat
b. Street Fighter
c. Killer Instinct
d. Bloody Roar
5. Which of the below is not one of the worlds in Donkey Kong Country?
a. Monkey Mines
b. Gorilla Glacier
c. Chimp Caverns
d. Baboon Bayou
6. Little Molly Jenkins loves going to the Donkey Kong Country petting zoo. Which animal, though, does she never get to ride?
7. Golden letters are hidden throughout each level in Donkey Kong Country. What word do they spell when found?
8. Analogy fun! Super Mario Bros. 1UP : Green mushroom : : Donkey Kong Country 1UP :
a. Blue balloon
b. Green balloon
c. Red balloon
d. Glowing barrel
9. What image appears on the save barrels?
10. The “vehicle” levels in Donkey Kong Country are some of the most well known (and fun!) in the game. Which
a. Raiders of the Lost
11. Funky Kong offers Donkey Kong a specific service in Donkey Kong Country. If he were to perform a similar duty in the real world, what job would Funky Kong most likely take?
b. Surfing instructor
12. Which character performs the following gymnastics move?a. Donkey Kong
b. Diddy Kong
Match the animal buddy with the crate it hides out in:
17. What kind of item does Donkey Kong bounce on to jump higher?
a. A tire
b. A spring
c. A pogo stick
d. A trampoline
18. Cranky Kong could be cranky for all of the following reasons except?
a. Mario stole Daisy away from him years ago in the original Donkey Kong
b. No one listens to the helpful stage hints he provides in each world
c. Donkey Kong plays his boom box too loud during the game’s opening sequence
d. He didn’t get to be a playable character in the Donkey Kong Country sequel
19. Who is the final boss of Donkey Kong Country?
20. Ridiculously hard question of the week! How many lives does Donkey Kong have after the following sequence of events? (Keep in mind that he starts with 3.)
-Donkey Kong grabs a red balloon.
-Donkey Kong picks up 50 bananas.
-Donkey Kong grabs a green balloon.
-Donkey Kong grabs a red balloon.
-Donkey Kong picks up 7 banana bunches.
-Donkey Kong grabs two blue balloons.
-Donkey Kong picks up 83 bananas.
.21: King’s Quest
.22: The characters of Super Smash Bros.
.23: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
.24: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
.25: Ninja Gaiden
.26: Dolphin extravaganza!
.27: Secret Den Den Town edition
[*].disqus.comto your security software's whitelist.