I hope you all had a wonderful holiday yesterday and the scary red chimney ninja gave you everything you wanted. Wait, what? You asked for a special end of the year Great Retro Quiz and didn’t find one under the tree? Well, just like Ralphie and his Red Ryder BB Gun, sometimes the best things come to those who wait ...
This week’s quiz is going to be a little different. Instead of focusing on retro games, I am going to test your knowledge of all the most memorable games of 2007. I apologize in advance for this quiz jumping the shark, but I think throwing in some recent stuff once and a while just makes things more interesting. Who’s with me?!
This one is pretty tough as it covers all genres and all consoles. The only stipulations are that the games have to have been somewhat talked about and released at some point in 2007. So most everything from this past year is fair game!
As an end of the year bonus, this week’s prize is pretty killer. Just leave your answers in the comments and whoever gets the most right will win a videogame of their choice. Yup, any game for any system (as long as a peripheral doesn’t come packed in the box, you Rock Band hopefuls). No tie-breaker question this week. In the event of a tie, my little Santa hat here will pick a winner at random (no one can argue with an inanimate object). Like always, check my community blog tomorrow for the correct answers and the dramatic results.
2007 was a great year. Channel those recent memories, hit the jump, and ... don’t shoot your eye out!
The Great Retro Quiz! .15
1. In Assassin’s Creed, what does the main character’s name (Altaïr) mean in Arabic?
2. What is the name of the underwater city in BioShock?
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare’s John MacTavish has a nickname. What is it?
4. Which of the following is not one of the Prankster Comets in Super Mario Galaxy?
Identify the cast of Contra 4!
9. Eternal Sonata focuses on the dreams of what famous composer?
10. Kratos wakes up (next to a trio of topless women, assumedly) and discovers his coffee maker is completely dead. What God of War II spell should he perform to give the appliance the extra “juice” it needs to start working again?
11. Who actually stays in Hotel Dusk: Room 215?
12. Which of the following colors represents an agility orb in Crackdown?
13. What is the name of Link’s sassy shipmate in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass?
14. Name the Mass Effect race!
15. In Pac-Man: Championship Edition, what is the time limit during Championship Mode?
Control scheme memories! Match the button on the Wii remote with the action it performs in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption:
20. According to The Orange Box (and more specifically, Portal), what is a lie?
21. Song featured in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock or Rock Band?
a. Guitar Hero III: Legends or Rock
b. Rock Band
22. Which of the below Super Mario Galaxy power-ups only lasts for a set amount of time?
23. You just won the lottery! Woo hoo! Your winnings equal the same amount of money that Halo 3 made on its first day of release in the U.S. How much did you win?
24. Francis, from Super Paper Mario, is one of the best videogame characters in recent memory. What kind of creature is he?
25. You just shook your Wiimote while playing Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure. What did Wiki turn into?
The Great Retro Quiz! Hall of Champions
.01: The Virtual Console (NES) - No prize