The Olympics start tonight! Woo hoo! Am I going to watch them? Oh, yeah, every minute. Will my TiVo explode? More than likely.
To celebrate this once-every-four-year world competition, the Great Retro Quiz! is returning for a limited engagement. Over the next two weeks, the Great Retro Olympics! (see what I did there?) will be testing your knowledge of retro videogames with themes based on actual events in the Summer Games.
Here is the upcoming schedule of mind challenging events:
As you can see, this first event -- the “opening ceremony” -- is all about opening cutscenes and game intros. Do you have what it takes to earn a precious gold medal and be adored by beautiful women the world over?
Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/9) for the dramatic results.
Click here to set the mood, hit the jump, and ... good luck! Let the retro games begin!
The Great Retro Olympics!
1. At the beginning of Castlevania for the NES, which direction does Simon Belmont walk on the screen towards the castle’s front gate?
a. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
b. U.N. Squadron
c. Contra III: The Alien Wars
5. RapeTrap™! How many gang members assault Marian during Double Dragon’s classic (and classically violent) opening?
6. Quick! Identify Ryu’s father!
7. What wakes Ness up at the start of Earthbound?
a. A gunshot
b. A phone call
c. A strange howl
d. A meteor crash
8. Which of the below spy tools does Otto use at the very beginning of Elevator Action?
9. Cecil and his nefarious Red Wings attack what helpless village during the opening sequence of Final Fantasy IV?
10. Oh no! An Earthquake struck Hyrule and mixed up all of Link’s furniture! Using the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a guide, help Link put his bed back in the correct spot!
11. What (or who) appears on the screen once Mike Haggar turns the television on?
a. His kidnapped daughter
b. A ticking bomb
c. A plane full of hostages
d. His burned down house
12. Which of the below scary beasts interrupts Arthur and the princess’s peaceful picnic at the start of Ghosts n’ Goblins?
13. True or false: Mega Man does not have his helmet on during the opening pan up the building in Mega Man 2.
Mario, Luigi, or both? Who appears on the title screen of ...
14. ... Super Mario Bros.?
15. ... Super Mario Bros. 2?
16. ... Super Mario Bros. 3?
17. ... Super Mario World?
18. What is Aeris carrying during the classic opening cutscene of Final Fantasy VII?
a. A basket of fruit
b. A cloak
c. A staff
d. A basket of flowers
19. Name this character!
a. Master Miller
b. Donald Anderson
c. Kenneth Baker
d. Roy Campbell
20. Which of the below Yoshis grabs Baby Mario?
I grew up as a Nintendo kid, through and through. From the very first time I laid eyes on a Nintendo Entertainment System at a Sears at the age of four, I wanted to be a part of that world. I have no idea why a four-year-old ...more
With the recent lack of clarification of the used game market for the new Xbox One, some gamers are complaining about the possible death of physical used games, and the need to tie all of our games to an account. Microsoft wi...more
Earlier this month, Brett shared his love of Xbox Achievements with us, and cautioned that Microsoft's rumored next-generation revamp to the system may end up ruining part of what makes them great. For Brett, the idea of Achi...more