The Olympics start tonight! Woo hoo! Am I going to watch them? Oh, yeah, every minute. Will my TiVo explode? More than likely.
To celebrate this once-every-four-year world competition, the Great Retro Quiz! is returning for a limited engagement. Over the next two weeks, the Great Retro Olympics! (see what I did there?) will be testing your knowledge of retro videogames with themes based on actual events in the Summer Games.
Here is the upcoming schedule of mind challenging events:
August 8: Opening ceremony – Questions about game intros
August 12: Decathlon – Questions about running and jumping
August 14: Gymnastics – Questions about special moves
August 19: 200 meter freestyle – Questions about water stages
August 21: Fencing – Questions about weapons
August 24: Closing ceremony – Questions about videogame endings
As you can see, this first event -- the “opening ceremony” -- is all about opening cutscenes and game intros. Do you have what it takes to earn a precious gold medal and be adored by beautiful women the world over?
Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/9) for the dramatic results.
Click here to set the mood, hit the jump, and ... good luck! Let the retro games begin!
The Great Retro Olympics! Category: Opening ceremony Number of questions: 20 Difficulty: Normal
1. At the beginning of Castlevania for the NES, which direction does Simon Belmont walk on the screen towards the castle’s front gate? a. Right to left b. Left to right c. Neither; he starts in front of the gate
2. Name the game opening!
a. Ikari Warriors b. Commando c. Metal Gear d. Contra
3. What event do balloons and fireworks erupt from during the peaceful opening aerial shot in Chrono Trigger? a. The Carnival of Time b. The Millennial Fair c. The Guardia Gathering d. The Truce Festival
4. Roland Emmerich must love the Super Nintendo! What classic videogame opening most likely inspired the below iconic scene from 1996’s Independence Day?
a. Zombies Ate My Neighbors b. U.N. Squadron c. Contra III: The Alien Wars d. Blackthorne
5. RapeTrap™! How many gang members assault Marian during Double Dragon’s classic (and classically violent) opening? a. 2 b. 3 c. 4 d. 5
6. Quick! Identify Ryu’s father!
7. What wakes Ness up at the start of Earthbound? a. A gunshot b. A phone call c. A strange howl d. A meteor crash
8. Which of the below spy tools does Otto use at the very beginning of Elevator Action?
9. Cecil and his nefarious Red Wings attack what helpless village during the opening sequence of Final Fantasy IV? a. Mysidia b. Mist c. Fabul d. Troia
10. Oh no! An Earthquake struck Hyrule and mixed up all of Link’s furniture! Using the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a guide, help Link put his bed back in the correct spot!
11. What (or who) appears on the screen once Mike Haggar turns the television on?
a. His kidnapped daughter b. A ticking bomb c. A plane full of hostages d. His burned down house
12. Which of the below scary beasts interrupts Arthur and the princess’s peaceful picnic at the start of Ghosts n’ Goblins?
13. True or false: Mega Man does not have his helmet on during the opening pan up the building in Mega Man 2. a. True b. False
Mario, Luigi, or both? Who appears on the title screen of ...
14. ... Super Mario Bros.? 15. ... Super Mario Bros. 2? 16. ... Super Mario Bros. 3? 17. ... Super Mario World?
18. What is Aeris carrying during the classic opening cutscene of Final Fantasy VII? a. A basket of fruit b. A cloak c. A staff d. A basket of flowers
19. Name this character!
a. Master Miller b. Donald Anderson c. Kenneth Baker d. Roy Campbell
This blog submitted to our editor via our Community Blogs, and then it made it to the home page! You can follow community members and vote up their blogs - support each other so we can promote a more diverse and deep content mix on our home page.
Get more destructoid: We're indie-run, blogging for the love of it, and our site will always be free. Optionally, you can support us and get: (1) Faster pages from our cloud server (3) Wide(r)screen (3) No big ads on Dtoid, Japanator, Tomopop, or Flixist (4) Auto contest entries, and (5) Dibs on betas & downloads. Try it out
Unsavory comments? Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our moderators, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma). Can't see comments? Apps like Avast or browser extensions can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.