The Olympics start tonight! Woo hoo! Am I going to watch them? Oh, yeah, every minute. Will my TiVo explode? More than likely.
To celebrate this once-every-four-year world competition, the Great Retro Quiz! is returning for a limited engagement. Over the next two weeks, the Great Retro Olympics! (see what I did there?) will be testing your knowledge of retro videogames with themes based on actual events in the Summer Games.
Here is the upcoming schedule of mind challenging events:
As you can see, this first event -- the “opening ceremony” -- is all about opening cutscenes and game intros. Do you have what it takes to earn a precious gold medal and be adored by beautiful women the world over?
Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/9) for the dramatic results.
Click here to set the mood, hit the jump, and ... good luck! Let the retro games begin!
The Great Retro Olympics!
1. At the beginning of Castlevania for the NES, which direction does Simon Belmont walk on the screen towards the castle’s front gate?
a. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
b. U.N. Squadron
c. Contra III: The Alien Wars
5. RapeTrap™! How many gang members assault Marian during Double Dragon’s classic (and classically violent) opening?
6. Quick! Identify Ryu’s father!
7. What wakes Ness up at the start of Earthbound?
a. A gunshot
b. A phone call
c. A strange howl
d. A meteor crash
8. Which of the below spy tools does Otto use at the very beginning of Elevator Action?
9. Cecil and his nefarious Red Wings attack what helpless village during the opening sequence of Final Fantasy IV?
10. Oh no! An Earthquake struck Hyrule and mixed up all of Link’s furniture! Using the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a guide, help Link put his bed back in the correct spot!
11. What (or who) appears on the screen once Mike Haggar turns the television on?
a. His kidnapped daughter
b. A ticking bomb
c. A plane full of hostages
d. His burned down house
12. Which of the below scary beasts interrupts Arthur and the princess’s peaceful picnic at the start of Ghosts n’ Goblins?
13. True or false: Mega Man does not have his helmet on during the opening pan up the building in Mega Man 2.
Mario, Luigi, or both? Who appears on the title screen of ...
14. ... Super Mario Bros.?
15. ... Super Mario Bros. 2?
16. ... Super Mario Bros. 3?
17. ... Super Mario World?
18. What is Aeris carrying during the classic opening cutscene of Final Fantasy VII?
a. A basket of fruit
b. A cloak
c. A staff
d. A basket of flowers
19. Name this character!
a. Master Miller
b. Donald Anderson
c. Kenneth Baker
d. Roy Campbell
20. Which of the below Yoshis grabs Baby Mario?
Sony does more for Vita than it gets credit for, but it's okay to be frustrated
4:00 PM on 08.13.2014
What's Up: Guardians of the Galaxy, gettin' zen with Sentris, and our dumb PAX panel
7:30 PM on 08.12.2014