The Great Retro Olympics!: Opening ceremony
The Olympics start tonight! Woo hoo! Am I going to watch them? Oh, yeah, every minute. Will my TiVo explode? More than likely.
To celebrate this once-every-four-year world competition, the Great Retro Quiz! is returning for a limited engagement. Over the next two weeks, the Great Retro Olympics! (see what I did there?) will be testing your knowledge of retro videogames with themes based on actual events in the Summer Games.
Here is the upcoming schedule of mind challenging events:
- August 8: Opening ceremony – Questions about game intros
- August 12: Decathlon – Questions about running and jumping
- August 14: Gymnastics – Questions about special moves
- August 19: 200 meter freestyle – Questions about water stages
- August 21: Fencing – Questions about weapons
- August 24: Closing ceremony – Questions about videogame endings
As you can see, this first event -- the “opening ceremony” -- is all about opening cutscenes and game intros. Do you have what it takes to earn a precious gold medal and be adored by beautiful women the world over?
Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/9) for the dramatic results.
Click here to set the mood, hit the jump, and ... good luck! Let the retro games begin!
Setup email comments
The Great Retro Olympics!
Category: Opening ceremony
Number of questions: 20
1. At the beginning of Castlevania for the NES, which direction does Simon Belmont walk on the screen towards the castle’s front gate?
a. Right to left
b. Left to right
c. Neither; he starts in front of the gate
2. Name the game opening!
a. Ikari Warriors
c. Metal Gear
3. What event do balloons and fireworks erupt from during the peaceful opening aerial shot in Chrono Trigger?
a. The Carnival of Time
b. The Millennial Fair
c. The Guardia Gathering
d. The Truce Festival
4. Roland Emmerich must love the Super Nintendo! What classic videogame opening most likely inspired the below iconic scene from 1996’s Independence Day?
a. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
b. U.N. Squadron
c. Contra III: The Alien Wars
d. Blackthorne5. RapeTrap™! How many gang members assault Marian during Double Dragon’s classic (and classically violent) opening?
d. 56. Quick! Identify Ryu’s father!7. What wakes Ness up at the start of Earthbound?
a. A gunshot
b. A phone call
c. A strange howl
d. A meteor crash8. Which of the below spy tools does Otto use at the very beginning of Elevator Action?9. Cecil and his nefarious Red Wings attack what helpless village during the opening sequence of Final Fantasy IV?
d. Troia10. Oh no! An Earthquake struck Hyrule and mixed up all of Link’s furniture! Using the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as a guide, help Link put his bed back in the correct spot!11. What (or who) appears on the screen once Mike Haggar turns the television on?
a. His kidnapped daughter
b. A ticking bomb
c. A plane full of hostages
d. His burned down house12. Which of the below scary beasts interrupts Arthur and the princess’s peaceful picnic at the start of Ghosts n’ Goblins?13. True or false: Mega Man does not have his helmet on during the opening pan up the building in Mega Man 2.
b. FalseMario, Luigi, or both? Who appears on the title screen of ...
14. ... Super Mario Bros.?15. ... Super Mario Bros. 2?16. ... Super Mario Bros. 3?17. ... Super Mario World?18. What is Aeris carrying during the classic opening cutscene of Final Fantasy VII?
a. A basket of fruit
b. A cloak
c. A staff
d. A basket of flowers19. Name this character!
a. Master Miller
b. Donald Anderson
c. Kenneth Baker
d. Roy Campbell20. Which of the below Yoshis grabs Baby Mario?
Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our moderators
, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma
). Can't see comments?
Apps like Avast
or browser extensions
can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.