This is it. With this closing ceremony, the Great Retro Olympics! is officially over. I know there were a lot of these quizzes the past two weeks -- and most of you understandably got a little burnt out -- but I truly appreciate all the participation. You all are amazing.
Being the closing ceremony, this final quiz is all about retro videogame endings. It comes as no surprise that there are multiple spoilers ahead, so please proceed with caution. You’ve been warned!
Make your country proud and finish these retro games with a perfect gold medal. Just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/25) for the always dramatic results.
I hope you didn’t skip those closing credits! Good luck!
The Great Retro Olympics!
1. Best ending ever! The specific creature that saves Samus’s life at the end of Super Metroid is originally introduced in what game?
2. Head asplode alert! At the end of Bionic Commando, the head with a likeness of what famous dictator explodes in all its magnificent, gruesome glory?
3. Which of the following characters from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past does not get a follow-up scene during the game’s incredible ending sequence?
4. At the end of the original Contra, Bill and Lance escape in what military vehicle?
5. Steve Wiebe would know this! When Mario finally reunites with Pauline at the end of arcade classic Donkey Kong, what side is he on?
6. What tragedy befalls the princess at the end of Earthworm Jim?
7. Who gets married at the end of Final Fantasy IV?
Ugh, some retro videogame endings are terrible! Match the below abysmal endings with the games they come from?
12. The Wind Fish that wakes up at the end of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening wants to make it big in Hollywood. What movie would he most likely star in?
Match the item with the character it represents in Final Fantasy VI:
17. We all know Samus is a woman, but what color hair does she have when she takes off her helmet during the ending of NES masterpiece Metroid?
18. The below trophy is awarded to the winner of what NES “board game”?
19. Which character flies a biplane during the ending of Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
20. Ridiculously hard question of the week! How many Yoshis surround Mario and Peach as they wave good-bye during the ending of Super Mario World?
The Great Retro Olympics! Instant Replay
This has been a fairly thrilling Electronic Entertainment Expo in a lot of ways. Hard not to be when two out of the three major console competitors are showing off brand new hardware and all the new games which come along with that. But what was the most exciting aspect of this year's E3? Watch the video to hear what we think and answer The Question for yourself in the comments below.more
Our top pick for this month's issue of Note Worthy is the NES-flavored soundtrack for Tiny Barbarian DX, composed by Jeff Ball. There's a variety of styles presented, but all of it is super catchy and melodic, and fans of ret...more
This was a historic year at E3. The 8th gen console wars have officially started, independent developers are infecting Sony like a disease that makes you feel awesome, the Xbone caught more heat than a Alabama volcano in the...more