Don’t panic, everyone, but there are only a couple more Great Retro Olympic events left before the closing ceremony on Sunday. Don’t miss out on a chance to walk away with a shiny medal. Your friends and family will be so proud. Hell, maybe you will even end up on the cover of a
Today’s event is the 200 meter freestyle, which means the quiz is all about water stages in retro videogames. Do you know the difference between a Blooper and a Cheep-Cheep? Take the quiz to find out.
And as I mentioned, there are only a few quizzes left. Make sure to check back later this week for the rest of the excitement:
As for this event, just leave your answers in the comments and check my community blog tomorrow (8/20) for the results.
This may be your only chance to beat Michael Phelps in something water-related! Get that Speedo on and …good luck!
The Great Retro Quiz!
1. In the below stage from TurboGrafx-16 classic Bonk’s Adventure, what is Bonk swimming inside of?
2. What relic is needed to travel safely under the water in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?
3. Which of the following underwater enemies cannot be killed in Donkey Kong Country?
4. In Chrono Trigger, what kingdom is the Ocean Palace located in?
5. Rydia’s “father” or Rydia’s “mother”? Who can summon a giant wave?
6. The secret underwater Minus World from the original Super Mario Bros. can be accessed from what stage?
7. Which of the below groups takes a wild whitewater river ride back to Narshe?
8. Goonies II memories! Is the below waterfall a part of the background or an obstacle you have to avoid?
9. What kind of aquatic animals are bombed for points in the bonus stages of NES craptastic game Jaws?
10. True or false: Sonic the Hedgehog (in his first game) does not need any assistance to breathe underwater.
11. What item does Link retrieve from the Water Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
12. If you stay in the water too long in Snake Rattle ‘n Roll, what kind of creature comes to attack you?
13. All of the below Mega Man bosses reside in water stages except:
14. Tutorial schmutorial! What classic game throws players right into the action by teleporting main character Lester to the bottom of a deep lake right after the opening sequence?
Match the aquatic enemy with the Mario game it appears in:
19. Are you ready for a ridiculously hard question? What shiny item do you find while scuba diving at the bottom of the Cotton Cove River in Police Quest II: The Vengeance?
20. Which of the below suits allows Samus free movement underwater in Super Metroid?
The Great Retro Olympics! Instant Replay
In this extra British episode of Communitoid, we're joined by special British guest JJ McCallum! JJ recalls the time he fiddled with Conor's no-no place, Jo gets all hot and bothered by JJ's accent, Aaron is the worst host ev...more
[Update: Full re-run of this episode here.] The last time we had Jasper Byrne on Sup Holmes, he had just released his critically acclaimed survival horror title Lone Survivor. Like his Silent Hill 2 remake Soundless Mountain...more
I'd like to pay Richard Hofmeier to talk to me about videogames. During last week's Sup Holmes (now on iTunes), he told me about so many great things, like the free online "game" Geoguessr, surrealist interactive text auteur...more