As you may have heard, Destructoid is undertaking a heavy redesign in the next coming weeks to make way for some new community features. Here's a snapshot of what the new home page looks like at the moment and what you can expect...
* The ability to form "groups" amongst yourselves within Destructoid. This can be anything from a Halo 3 news group or a tag on the site such as the Orwellian Magma She-Breasts Clan (which I personally can't wait to join).
* Community blogs at long last! That deserves another post with more details. One hint: You can design a 970x185 jpg banner to replace the Destructoid header with your own art. Hoozah!
* Shortening top 10 to also allow top user-submitted stories on the sidebar.
* 100% more sheep inside
* Friend Lists: track your friend's updates and (drumroll): add/remove your friends so that their posts appear on your version of Destructoid's home page, mixed with our regular authors. So if you'd like to see your own stuff appear on Destructoid's home page, you can technically do that and impress your grandmothers.
* Blog a response to anybody's article on the site. Your posts, when approved by the author, become part of the story as a counterpoint. Comments follow as usual.
* The preview of latest comment in a story now appears on the home page.
* We got rid of the left column, so story text and photos are now 100px wider.
* New lists on the left sidebar make it easy to track your friends, groups, favorite topics. Some level of customization is planned but we're leaving that open for now.
Look for some of these changes to start kicking in this week. Once we're all set we'll be celebrating with the first major Destructoid contest of the year. It's gonna be big and physical.
[*].disqus.comto your security software's whitelist.