Yeah, I know Nex brought you a Shadowrun preview done by some peoples I've never heard of, but now that the NDA has lifted, I thought I'd give you a proper perspective on this game ... as it now stands. And really, who do you trust more than me and my opinion? Nobody, that's who. Hit the jump for the quick and easy breakdown of why you want this game, FPS fans.
First off, the ol' PR Nightmare and I have been playing the living f*ck out of this game on the Xbox 360 the past few days. We're talking extended, multi-hour sessions, balls deep in a beta that only has two maps and essentially, one game type. Yet, we're still playing a ton of it, which should speak volumes right there.
Now, here are some key points to keep in mind when you want to think about a Shadowrun purchase and/or rental.
1. The game is an addictive mix of Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike and just about every FPS game out there. The approach to anti-cheat by way of built-in cheats via special powers is actually a refreshing addition.
2. As of now, there are definite balancing issues. Certain powers and weapons far outweigh others. Expect a ton of nerfing and tweaking when this game finally goes to retail.
3. Here's a big issue that may limit the appeal of this game: You absolutely need to be on a team of people that know how to play, or else you will get completely destroyed and soured on Shadowrun. I suggest finding a good group and sticking with them at all costs.
4. When you first get the game you must practice, practice, practice. Whether it be with bots or just a close group of friends, you must make sure you have a solid understanding of the game before jumping in and going against the public. This is a complicated and overwhelming game at first, but once you get it down, it ain't no thing, jellybean.
5. The graphics are meh, at best. Although, supposedly, the final version is to have a lot more polish. But honestly, the gameplay is so solid that it actually doesn't matter much to me.
6. So far, no lag. Please Baby Jesus make this continue during launch.
7. Despite what you've heard in the past, even from me, Shadowrun is looking to be a solid experience. I was shocked at how well it's coming together.
Two new Personalization Packs will be released for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on May 29, and starting this Thursday you'll be able to vote on which packs make the cut, Activision's Dan Amrich announced. Voting will take p...more
Not to be left out of the "Oh we're going to be appearing on the Xbox One as well!" parade is Bungie, as they too revealed that Destiny will be released on Microsoft's next-gen console. So that's Watch Dogs, Thief, Assassin's...more
I think the first Sanctum game surprised a lot of people. It took the intellectual strategy aspect of tower defense games and combined it with the more action-oriented first-person shooter genre to create a unique, wonderful ...more