Yeah, I know Nex brought you a Shadowrun preview done by some peoples I've never heard of, but now that the NDA has lifted, I thought I'd give you a proper perspective on this game ... as it now stands. And really, who do you trust more than me and my opinion? Nobody, that's who. Hit the jump for the quick and easy breakdown of why you want this game, FPS fans.
First off, the ol' PR Nightmare and I have been playing the living f*ck out of this game on the Xbox 360 the past few days. We're talking extended, multi-hour sessions, balls deep in a beta that only has two maps and essentially, one game type. Yet, we're still playing a ton of it, which should speak volumes right there.
Now, here are some key points to keep in mind when you want to think about a Shadowrun purchase and/or rental.
1. The game is an addictive mix of Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike and just about every FPS game out there. The approach to anti-cheat by way of built-in cheats via special powers is actually a refreshing addition.
2. As of now, there are definite balancing issues. Certain powers and weapons far outweigh others. Expect a ton of nerfing and tweaking when this game finally goes to retail.
3. Here's a big issue that may limit the appeal of this game: You absolutely need to be on a team of people that know how to play, or else you will get completely destroyed and soured on Shadowrun. I suggest finding a good group and sticking with them at all costs.
4. When you first get the game you must practice, practice, practice. Whether it be with bots or just a close group of friends, you must make sure you have a solid understanding of the game before jumping in and going against the public. This is a complicated and overwhelming game at first, but once you get it down, it ain't no thing, jellybean.
5. The graphics are meh, at best. Although, supposedly, the final version is to have a lot more polish. But honestly, the gameplay is so solid that it actually doesn't matter much to me.
6. So far, no lag. Please Baby Jesus make this continue during launch.
7. Despite what you've heard in the past, even from me, Shadowrun is looking to be a solid experience. I was shocked at how well it's coming together.
They grow up so fast: Game Informer interviews Aaron Linde about writing Battleborn
1:00 PM on 07.27.2014
Video: Wilhelm is like a Terminator on rocket skates in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
7:00 AM on 07.24.2014