Scraps: The hammer is my penis
My copy of the Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog DVD arrived from Amazon today, and it's incredibly good. Nevermind how incredible the three act supervillain musical starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day is. I mean, it's awesome, but you can see that on their website.
Commentary! The Musical is where it's at here. It's another series of quirky and funny songs performed by the cast and crew that totally breaks the 9th wall. There's also a half hour of applications for entry into the Evil League of Evil sent in by fans of the show. It's surprising how good a lot of them are.
It's only ten bucks and helps to show that independent artists don't need the help of the studios and labels to produce content that we want to see. So, if you like the show, go buy the DVD. Or, if you haven't seen it yet (for shame!), go watch the entire thing for free and then buy it.
Here are some stories we chose not to write about today. Don't forget to venture past the jump for some of the great original content floating all around the interwebs. There's a really special one in there that I'd appreciate all of you taking a look at because it warms my cold heart.
- Take-Two has signed a deal with Nvidia to use their real-time physics engine, PhysX, in future games. Borderlands will be the first. [GamesIndustry]
- Bionic Commando's in-game control instructions are the perfect example of an idea so simple, it's astounding that it hasn't been done. [MTV Multiplayer]
- EA has revealed more details of their plan to trim costs over the next year. Between the layoffs and studio closings, they aim to save about 120 million. [GamesIndustry]
Setup email comments
- This might be more significant to me because I do have to occasionally tell people what it is I do for a living and deal with their reaction, but I think we can all relate as gamers. It's a beautifully written piece. If you ignore the rest of the list, I'll understand so long as you read this one. [GameSetWatch]
- I would not normally pimp a year-end list here. We have plenty of our own stuff already, after all. But this list of BoingBoing's best indie/overlooked games in 2008 is worth having a look at. [Offworld]
- A little bit of funny for you. Here's a twitter exchange that's likely to land a certain mustachioed plumber in the big house. [Hardcasual]
- This is over a week old now, but stuff like this can provide timeless lessons. It's a look at how the marketing machine at Sony went absolutely bonkers in the run-up to the PS3 launch, cashing checks their ass may never be able to cash. [Magical Wasteland]
- Finally, Atlus' Madoka Ueno gives us a little bit of insight into the life of a translator. Kinda makes me wish I had any talent at all for foreign languages, as it seems like it would be a pretty sweet gig. [Atlus]
Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our moderators
, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma
). Can't see comments?
Apps like Avast
or browser extensions
can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.