PSP is Japan's top-selling console for 2010
The year-end report by ASCII lays it all out, and it's exactly as we expected. The PSP and DS sold like hotcakes. Or rice cakes. The PSP was the only system to show sales growth over 2009 numbers, pushing out some 60,000 units over last year, to 2,729,718 units sold in 2010. That just barely edges out the DS with its 2,719,544 units.
I'vew always wondered how a PSP hater would fare in Tokyo for a week. Everyone there has their PSP out, everywhere you look. I suspect snide, under-the-breath remarks and IRL trolling would slowly give way to a realization that the PSP is a great little game system with plenty of good games in its library. Or that everyone in Japan loves Monster Hunter.
The ASCII numbers show that Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was the second best-selling game in Japan for 2010. Over 3 million people bought a copy in 2010, which probably has a lot to do with the PSP sales numbers. The top seller? It's Pokemon Black/White, of course, with some 4.7 million copies sold. But it's not a fair contest as MHP3 only had a month on the market.
Check out the full 2010 rankings for Japan after the jump.
PSP is Japan's best-selling console of 2010, Pokemon Black/White the top game [Joystiq]
Setup email comments
Japanese hardware sales, 2010:
- PSP -- 2,729,718
- DS -- 2,719,544
- Wii -- 1,592,563
- PS3 -- 1,542,258
- Xbox 360 -- 231,258
- PS2 -- 83,030
Japanese software sales, 2010:
- Pokemon Black/Pokemon White -- DS -- 4,734,064
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd -- PSP -- 3,163,750
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii -- Wii -- 1,692,401
- Wii Party -- Wii -- 1,385,541
- Dragon Quest VI -- DS -- 1,354,841
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 -- DS -- 1,305,750
- Tomodachi Collection -- DS -- 1,112,298
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- Wii -- 931,534
- Inazuma Eleven 3 Spark/Bomber -- DS -- 930,580
- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep -- PSP -- 844,980
Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our community fisters
, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma
). Can't see comments?
Apps like Avast
or browser extensions
can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.