It's become a sad fact now that if one wants a portable demigod in their hands, it's going to be a creature that burns brightly and dies swiftly. The PlayStation Vita's specs have been divulged, and they reveal that the system will rock five hours of gaming at the most -- slightly more if you're just going to watch movies on it.
This puts the Vita on par with the 3DS in terms of juice, which is actually surprising, since the Vita is packing a ridiculous amount of power under the hood. It's suggested that simply playing video will net you five hours, while music can last for nine. Once empty, the Vita takes about two hours and forty minutes to fully recharge.
I'd love to get worked up about this, but after using a cellphone that can't perform its advertised duties without emptying in minutes and the 3DS doing its thing, I'm not surprised anymore. Why can't we just have these things powered by oil? Plentiful, cheap, healthy, black oil? It would solve everything.
* Model number: PCH-1000 series
* CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
* GPU: SGX543MP4+
* Main memory: 512MB
* VRAM: 128MB
* External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x
depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
* Weight Approx: 279g (3G/Wi-Fi model), 260g (Wi-Fi model)
* Screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED, Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
* Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
* Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera; Frame rate: 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA); Resolution: Up to 640x480(VGA)
* Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone
* Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Threeaxis electronic compass
* Location: Built-in GPS (3G/Wi-Fi model only), Wi-Fi location service support
* Keys/Switches: PS button, power button, directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), shoulder buttons (Right/Left), right stick, left stick, START button, SELECT button, volume buttons (+/-)
* Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G/Wi-Fi model only), 3G modem (data communication): HSDPA/HSUPA *specification for Japanese region, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?
* Slots/Ports: PlayStation®Vita card slot, memory card slot, SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only), multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In], Serial data communication), headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In]), accessory port
* Power: Built-In Lithium-ion Battery: DC3.7V 2200mA, AC adaptor: DC 5V
* Operating environment temperature: 5??35?
* Supported AV content format: Music - MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM). Videos - MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC). Photos - JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG
PlayStation Vita specs - battery lasts 3-5 hours [MCV]