With only a couple more hours until (what we believe to be) the PlayStation 4's grand reveal, we thought we'd list our hopes, fears, and predictions for the PS4. Tomorrow, after all is revealed (yeah, right), we'll look back at how wrong or right we were in these thoughts.
We encourage you all to post your own PS4 fears, hopes, and predictions in the comments below. Let's all be incredibly wrong together!
- A pay wall for PSN.
- A continuation of their anti-consumer attitude: When they tried to remove features that consumers had already paid for (like the ability to run Linux on their machines); their desperate anti-piracy measures that almost exclusively result in more pain, trouble and work for the consumer.
- That Sony is too confident and relies on gimmicky online features (minimal cloud support), only to be blown out of the water by Microsoft with the 720. Also, I fear a lack of backwards compatibility.
- Graphics over gameplay.
- Fear itself.
- Vita-style single-account lockdown
- Region-locking for games (movies/music is a foregone conclusion)
- Downward spiral for PS Plus value (or evolution of PSN into Xbox-style pay-by-default)
- That I may not even have a good reason to continue bothering with consoles except for the reason that Japanese developers don't do a lot of cross-platform to the PC
- Accurate historic events, riiiidge racer, arrogance, kevin butler getting sued again and then forced into adman slavery so we always have to see him in every commercial ever, everything always online, ridiculous price finally causing the collapse of Sony and/or the video game industry, network problems, even longer updates, Home becoming The Video Game, Folding @ home not curing every disease, vipers
- Sony messing up all the potential they have with what is a lock on first- and third- party announcements with some stupid decision for PSN and money.
- A focus on controller gimmickry. (Sixaxis, Move, etc.)
- My owned content will not transfer over.
- Party chat, streaming and digital distribution day 1 with retail.
- It sounds weird, but I will be fine with paying for the PSN if it delivers a better experience. Also, it would be great for Sony to hit the ground running with a subscription, rather than playing "catch up" to Xbox Live years later with PS+. Keep delivering a solid online experience and augment it with lots of cloud services that sync with the Vita, and I'll be ok with a subscription fee.
- Is Square-Enix going to wait until bankruptcy to remaster Final Fantasy 7 on current hardware? I'd like to see that happen before the great earthquake swallows California.
- Region-free for all games
- Continuation of PS Plus upward value spiral
- Backwards compatibility or similar solution for PS3 games
- Expansion of cross-platform usefulness with Vita (sure as hell the Vita would benefit from it)
- Day 1 Simultaneous digital release
- Free/convenient Platform migration for existing content downloads
- Something to make the Xross Media Bar cool again
- "PS2 Classics" and/or "PSP classics" rereleases on PSN, like they're doing now with PS1 games
- Continued PS Plus support with tons of free games, awesome backward compatibility,
- Sony exec comes to my home to personally give me backrub (I have a pretty shitty back these days)
It will probably play games and continue to make Sony a lot more money than all game blogs combined.