We all get frustrated playing video games. No one likes to lose and no one likes to run the same level over and over again trying to complete it. It sucks when a game isn’t going your way.
How each of us reacts to the frustration is different though. I tend to shut the game off when I get frustrated and try it again the next day when I have a clear head. Others, like someone close to me, tend to freak out when they’re losing. They’ll scream, swear and even throw controllers when they are frustrated with a game.
I understand that sometimes getting angry with a game is better for some people because its better to take your frustrations out on a piece of plastic than your family or friends, but after several broken controllers or systems is can get expensive to have an angry gamer in the house.
If you are an angry gamer or know someone who is, here are some tips for dealing with anger during gaming sessions.
1. Keep an item such as a pillow or stuffed animal beside you when playing, so that you can punch or throw the item instead of throwing the controller, hitting something valuable or hitting someone near you.
2. If you are going to scream and swear during an online gaming session, don’t use your headset. In the end, all you will end up with is a bunch of bad reviews from the people playing you and fewer people wanting to play with you.
3. If you are a PS2 player, invest in the Nerf Pelican PS2 controller. The rubber skin on the controller allows it to take more damage without breaking than normal controllers do. This way you’ll spend less money on replacement controllers.
4. When you buy your system, invest in a second controller with a protection warranty. This will cover all the controllers you break during a moment of rage. It’s better to pay $20 now than $50 later for each controller you smash and you’ll always have an extra controller available for when you do break one.
5. Always remember that it’s just a game and no matter how mad you get, NEVER take out your anger on a living thing. Objects can be replaced, but people and animals can’t.
For those of you living with an angry gamer, here are some tips to deal with them:
1. Try listening to some music with a pair of noise canceling headphones that way you don’t have to listen to them screaming at the TV.
2. Don’t try to change the behavior of the angry gamer because its better that they take their frustrations out on the game then anything else. Some people just need an outlet for all their daily stress.
3. Never make fun of an angry gamer when they are losing. You’re just asking for a controller to be thrown at your head.
4. If you are playing online with an angry gamer, just ignore them. Fighting with them only takes away from your fun. If possible, just put them on mute.
I hope these tips help all the angry gamers out there and anyone living with them.
[Title picture via Aggravated Gamers]
Capcom will release special edition Mega Man 25th anniversary 3DS and 3DS XL cases to commemorate the series' release on the 3DS eShop, community manager Brett Elston announced on Capcom-Unity. The two-piece case featur...more
Sony seems to release a new controller color every time my current ones are looking a bit rough. Judging from a Twitter post that popped up earlier but has since disappeared, the newest offering in their DualShock 3 controlle...more
The marketing of booby ninja school girl brawler series Senran Kagura is simply outrageous. Branded tissue boxes? Facepalm worthy. Themed desserts? Fairly creative. Cell phone charms? Well, that doesn't sound so bad... ... oh...more