Game database:   #ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ         ALL     Xbox One     PS4     360     PS3     WiiU     Wii     PC     3DS     DS     PS Vita     PSP     iOS     Android


Microsoft to expand presence in China with joint venture


6:00 PM on 09.23.2013
MicrosoftMicrosoft to expand presence in China with joint venture photo



Microsoft and BesTV plan to start a joint venture in China that will develop games and related services called E-Home Entertainment Development, reports Xinhua. The news originated from the Shanghai Stock Exchange, where BesTV stated that it would hold a 51 percent share in the venture with Microsoft taking the remaining 49 percent.

An interesting initiative, given the country's ban on videogame consoles. Microsoft and BesTV's new entity is expected to be registered in Shanghai's free-trade zone. The two companies have invested a combined $237 million in the venture.

It's believed that, more specifically, a console which leverages the Xbox tech -- dubbed "Bestpad" -- is planned for China. I'm picturing one of those ridiculous knockoff products based on that name; the kind that almost look legit if you squint but have a few too many buttons.

Microsoft to set up Chinese joint venture [Xinhua via Polygon]






Comments not appearing? Anti-virus apps like Avast or some browser extensions can cause this.
Easy fix: Add   [*].disqus.com   to your software's white list. Tada! Happy comments time again.

Did you know? You can now get daily or weekly email notifications when humans reply to your comments.






China

12:30 PM on 01.06.2015
Zombies, monsters, Captain America: Call of Duty is different in China

In China, the Call of Duty series is devoid of Kevin Spacey, but that doesn't mean they won't try to sell it with big American actors. This live-action trailer for Call of Duty Online, the China-exclusive free-to-play Call of Duty, features Captain America's (and Snowpiercer's) Chris Evans.  There are also some lacking CG zombies and Gears of War style giant monsters.more



8:00 PM on 12.16.2014
Jonathan Holmes’ face broadcast to entirety of China

[A wild Holmes appears! --Mr Andy Dixon] After rising up the ranks at Destructoid and becoming Editor-in-Chief, Jonathan Holmes sets his eyes on China. The country is growing in both economy and power, but what Mr. Holmes' real goal is is currently unconfirmed. His recent appearance on the Chinese news channel CCTV 13 opens up room for speculation.more



10:15 AM on 10.08.2014
Microsoft has already sold 100K Xbox Ones in China

It's only been on the market for a week or so now, but Microsoft's Xbox One seems to be doing fairly well in China. Since September 29, it's already moved 100,000 units. That's more than Japan's cumulative sales since the sys...more



View all China






Back to Top




All content is yours to recycle through our Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing requiring attribution. Our communities are obsessed with videoGames, movies, anime, and toys.

Living the dream since March 16, 2006

Advertising on destructoid is available: Please contact them to learn more