Thanks for hanging out with us tonight and hope you enjoyed the news -- we're pretty stoked. Look for more exclusive news and contests from Japan later this month as we invade the Tokyo Game Show (expect crazy photos) and the E for All Expo in Los Angeles (expect crazy videos). Whoot!
Get the first look at the game - 65 game screenshots attached!
Join Mr. Destructoid and a new cast of characters in Hudson Entertainment’s Award-Winning 8-Person Online Multiplayer Battle game for PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System Gamers this Winter!
REDWOOD CITY, CA – October 1, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm for Hudson Soft, today announced that they are releasing Bomberman Ultra, an all-new Bomberman for digital download on the PLAYSTATION®Network this winter. Retaining classic gameplay elements combined with 8-person online multiplayer, full character customization and gorgeous high-definition graphics, Bomberman Ultra is slated to launch worldwide this winter.
“We’re happy to be working with Hudson Entertainment again in Bomberman Ultra”, said Niero, founder of Destructoid. “Actually, that’s not on the press release. I was just chatting with our editors. We’re all giddy. For a bunch of regular joes who run a video game site this is frickin' awesome stuff. Oh, and congratulations pedrovay2003 – you nailed it and won a free copy of the game. Smart fella, that guy!”
Full game details after the jump.
Fans of the popular series will be able to compete with the best Bomberman players worldwide, as Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic 8-player multiplayer battles online in 14 exotic arenas, as well as 4-player local multiplayer. Players can customize their own Bomberman characters with more than 50 character costumes, resulting in more than 150,000 possible combinations!
“The Bomberman series is one of the most popular brands in the history of Hudson Entertainment,” said Sabine Duvall, Vice President of Product Development at Hudson Entertainment. “Bringing Bomberman Ultra to the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system is a natural progression for the series and signifies our faith that the brand is beloved by gamers across all platforms.”
Bomberman Ultra delivers frantic, explosive action, motivating players to remain competitive and fight to prove that they are the best Bomberman player in the world. Utilizing the leaderboards, players can track their ranking to see just how they good they really are, and what they need in order to bomb their way to the top of the chart!
Originally launched in the US in 1987, the game captured gamers’ hearts with its simple yet challenging gameplay. With over 60 iterations on nearly all major consoles since then, and over 10 million units sold, winning accolades as the best multiplayer game of all time, this classic game has stood the test of time. Along the way, it also pioneered the “party game” genre, encouraging groups of 4 or more friends to duke it out in one room, and was the first series to contribute to Hudson’s reputation as the number one party game company.
Bah, you know us. We're just happy to be here. Dtoiders - thanks for all the support, we love you! Oh, by the way we're planning an NARP (No Apparent Reason Party - thx Reaprar) this November in Miami. More news on that next week. If you're in the area join us, won't ya? Special thanks to Amar, Mike, Dai, the Johns, and the rest of you wonderful people at Hudson. This is just too cool for words.
About Hudson Entertainment, Inc.
Hudson Entertainment is the North American publishing arm of Hudson Soft, an international provider of games and entertainment content founded in 1973. Hudson Entertainment focuses on four key businesses: console games, digital download content, mobile games, and music. Hudson introduced best-selling videogame franchises including Bomberman, Bonk, and Super Adventure Island. Hudson's mobile division is a leading supplier of games and personalized content. Through numerous partnerships with record labels, Hudson has become a leading provider of hip-hop ring tones and mobile content. For more information on Hudson Entertainment, please visit www.hudsonent.com.
Hudson Entertainment, Hudson Soft, and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hudson Soft. “Bomberman” is a registered trademark of Hudson Soft. "PLAYSTATION" and the "PS" Family Logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Online access requires broadband Internet service and a wireless access point or LAN. Certain limitations apply to Wi-Fi connectivity. User is responsible for Internet service fees.
"Devastating Dangerous Bomb"
Is the site slow for you? I'm looking at the load on the server and it's ridiculous. Shouldn't some of you chilluns be asleep by now? Ok, updated hint: there's like 150,000 possible character dress-up combinations possible. Oh, and invite 7 friends -- that's when the fun begins :)
Haven't we done this before? This feels familiar somehow. Is it my imagination? Hmmm. Ask one of the Dtoid regulars. They may recall something like this in the past. Another console maybe. Yeah, that's it.
There's a duck hat, an aviator kinda steampunkish-looking hat, a laser beam mounted on a robot helmet (not ours!), a Mexican wrestling mask, a hippie costume, a goth outfit, and a sexy cop woman!
What are you doing this year for Halloween? Like Candy from Japan? Tomopop is about to give away a giant warchest of candy from there in the next 15 minutes or so. You heard it here first!
Next update in a few minutes :)
Man, do you know how hard it is to keep a secret from staff? Its brutal! Like, I could be planning something for months and I talk to these guys all day -- but I can't say a thing until the last minute. So I got to tell them about five minutes ago and that's a load off my chest! I just had a nice dinner with the SFX 360 (South Florida Xbox 360) folks and I didn't even mention it -- I take embargoes seriously! Not that they'd care since (hint) its obviously a PS3 thang.
So here's a bad hint for the public: THERE'S A DUCK HELMET?!! Better hint coming up at 11:30!
I'm not saying anything! Ok, maybe I'll reveal some clues as we get closer to midnight. Any one know what I'm up to? Whatever it is, I'm giving it away to the first person that guesses it correctly with as much accuracy as possible.Take your best guess in the comments below!
T-minus 69ish minutes and counting! (Next update coming up at 11:10 EST)
Contests Official RulesNo Purchase Required to Enter or Win
1. Eligibility: .com contests are usually provided by sponsors who, due to customs and shipping costs (yay budgets), often limit participation to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (unless otherwise stated) and are at least 12 years of age. We encourage our overseas friends to be super sneaky and make a friend in the United States who can receive your prize, and then you two figure out the customs/logistics. Be cautious about who you trust, obviously. Employees of .com, their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Contests, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Contests (collectively “Contest Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are *not* eligible and will be fired and publicly beaten if are caught participating. All U.S., federal, state and local and regulations apply.
2. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Entry Period: The start and end dates/times of each Contest (the “Entry Period”) will be posted on the applicable Contest site.
4. Entry: To enter a Contest, follow the instructions on the Contest site. Submission will result in one (1) entry. The number of times you can enter the Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person, with the exception of patron members who may enter contests by logging into their 'perks' page.
5. Drawing: Unless otherwise specified in the contest details above, we will select the names of the potential winners in a random drawing of all eligible entries received during each Entry Period. The number of winners to be selected in a specific Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The odds of being selected as a potential winner depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period. Potential winners will be contacted via email and will be asked to provide their full name, age and mailing address within a specified time period. If a potential winner does not respond within the timeframe stated in the notification email, we may select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all entries received during the Entry Period. Limit one (1) prize per household per Contest.
6. Requirements of the Potential Winners: Winners will be notified by the e-mail address associated with their account on .com and/or receive a Private Message on .com or through a Twitter Direct Message/Facebook message. Winners have five (5) days from the original message alerting them of their winnings to respond and claim their prize. If no winner comes forward within five business days, the prize will be forfeited and raffled again where 's hardcore fans are most active (forums/community blogs/facebook group).
7. Prize(s): The prize(s) (including each prize’s approximate retail value) available to be won in a specific Contest will be posted on the Contest site. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize. Prizes will be mailed between 1 to 45 business days after winners have replied with their required info.
8. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
9.Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; © printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Contest Entities’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Contest Entities be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
11. Contest Results: To enter the contest without needing to buy/sell anything or request a written copy of the name of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope (stating the specific Contest you are requesting the winners for) to .com Contest Winners, 548 Market Street #59757, San Francisco, CA 94104 USA. We run many contests, so please be specific in what you are requesting. Winner requests must be received within thirty (30) days from the end date of the applicable contest (they're always posted on our site though). Winners are usually posted the day following the contest on our contest section.
Lastly, has the right to kick your ass and take away your prize if you are a total chode, so be cool and don't kick any puppies on your way to victory. Have fun with our contests and be a good sport when you win or lose. Remember: First you get the power, then you get the money, then get the baby.
[*].disqus.comto your security software's whitelist.