[Update: Added a very special Halloween illustration by Nicalis artist Linzb0t.]
Due to some technical issues, we may have some trouble getting you the full re-run of last Sunday's Sup, Holmes any time soon (though the podcast version is on iTunes.) It's a shame too, as our guest Tyrone Rogriguez, President of Nicalis, was quite generous with the exclusive news drops. At the very start of the show, we got the first official announcement of the Cave Story+ Halloween update/sale for Steam, which is literally the greatest thing ever.
Every character and background has been redrawn to celebrate the holidays, with redesigns that range from the appropriately spooky (knife wielding frog-man becomes Chucky from Child's Play) to the appropriate (Cthulu becomes... Cthulu) to the unexpected (fishing Mimiga becomes Darth Vader, ) to videogame related (Curly Brace becomes Samus Aran). There are too many horror film, videogame, and Halloween related references here to even begin to list, but if you really want to get spoiled, check out some of the sprite sheets provided by Cszuslik and see for yourself.
Not one, but two Darkstalkes references? Amazing.
That was just the beginning of the news cavalcade. We also got to hear about potential updates for Cave Story eShop, the latest on the development of Aban Hawkins and the 1,001 Spikes (now planned for more consoles!), Cave Story creator Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya's new project, the chances for Yatagarasu going online, a launch window for the DS/3DS version of Ikachan, and more, all provided for you below in convenient bulletpoint form.
* Along with the all new Halloween graphics and pre-existing Christmas themed re-skins, this new update for Cave Story+ on steam also includes a special Machine Gun Challenge mode, and at least one new Halloween themed song remix..
* Ikachan, is hitting DSiWare and the 3DS eShop simultaneously. This new version of the game will have new enemies, areas, and other content. The eShop version will also feature a new aspect ratio, similar to the display utilized with Cave Story eShop. Both versions will (hopefully) be released in December.
* Nicalis is looking into a Holiday themed update for Cave Story eShop, to include the Christmas themed re-skin from Cave Story+ on Steam. It's not guaranteed to happen at all, but if it's possible, the free update will be released before Christmas.
* Aban Hawkins and the 1,001 Spikes will have +12 playable characters in multi-player Vs. mode, including Aban, his sister, his father, Commander Video from the Bit.Trip series, characters from Tempura of the Dead, and many more. The game will also feature a new multi-player mode where players compete to climb a tower and "save a maiden". The game is now on track for release in 2013. Release has been delayed by the fact that Nicalis keeps adding new content. The publisher is also looking into releasing the game on the PS Vita and on Steam via Greenlight.
* Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya is working on a "Metroid-like" game for iOS.
* Yatagarasu was originally developed by 3 ex-SNK staff (an artist, a programmer, and a engine designer) who had formerly worked on the King of Fighters series. Nicalis is helping to make adjustments to the game to take advantage of the 3DS hardware, such as altering the backgrounds to optimize them for a 3D display. The game may have online multi-player, but only if they can get the game running with minimal lag and without other performance issues. Local multi-player lobbies are also a possibility.
* NightSky is coming soon to iOS, and will have optional touch control, tilt control, and virtual game pad and button controls.
* Cave Story has been rated by the ESRB for the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the PS Vita, but Nicalis has no current plans to port the game to those consoles. In Tyronit e's words - "We submitted all the consoles so that we wouldn't have to resubmit in the future, IF we ever decided to bring to those consoles."
Photo Gallery: (10 images)
Click to zoom - browse by swipe, or use arrow keys
TheBlondeBass The ultimate waifu has been decided scientifically. There is no need to participate in the waifu wars any longer.
(I won't tell you who it is until I make my own post of course)ThePlotHoles After being a Dtoid member for more than five years, finally wrote my first real blog post. Thoughts appreciated! http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/ThePlotHoles/-fire-watch-out-moving-past-our-sensitivity-for-spoilers-340096.phtmlMike Martin Spent all weekend sick. Missed this show. Ive been wanting to see some Death Magnetic live too. Oh well. Next time. Mainly this song. Jinx 01 Looks like Titanfall is getting a TV show... not sure why but okay I guess lol. Link in comments.TysonOfTime I'm starting to get really excited for the approach of the new FE games! I'm going to revisit Awakening. Are any of the DLCs worth it at all? (AKA what's the deal with the Future Past DLC?)Niero Desu Gametrailers 2002-2016 :(ikiryou When the waifu addiction gets out of controlJed Whitaker It is my father fuckin' birthday. I'm 29 today, now and forever. Everyone knows you stop ageing at 29. JohnSmith123 Street Fighter 5 is coming out soon
SeymourDuncan17 Too lazy to put all my favorite Pokemon/Personas/Demons in one image, but Shadow Chie is yet another favorite of mine. DOMINATRIX BANANA HEEEEEEAD! :3True Green Sphere I like it when comments suddenly spark new blog ideas in your mind.Larxinostic PSA to the collective Waifu / Pokemon / SMT War combatants. [img]http://i.imgur.com/b4nZwbQ.png[/img]Nekrosys Downloading Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. It feels a little weird to be installing a game on the Vita that isn't porn, if I'm being perfectly honest.Dreamweaver There's gonna be enough copies of both Fire Emblem: Birthright and Fire Emblem: Conquest that I shouldn't really feel the need to preorder them at Best Buy, right? I want to get both versions (I buy physical only) and I'm worried they won't have enough. OverlordZetta I see your "favorite Pokemon" and "favorite demon" and raise you a "favorite full party"!The Dyslexic Laywer Man they really blue balled me hard with that Ip Man vs Mike Tyson fight.Parismio Well, I did it. I pre-ordered Fire Emblem Fates. Guess who I'm siding with?:LynxAmali First Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run, now GameTrailers. Some people just want to watch the world burn. If you excuse me, I'm going to go cry and weep in a corner.GoofierBrute GameTrailers just announced on Facebook they're shutting down. It's a damn shame, since I rather liked them, despite not agreeing with a lot of what they've said. Best of luck to everyone who worked there.JohnSmith123 That's a really short campaign Destiny has isn't it? Wow lol