At this event, a new partnership with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals was kicked off. They'll work together in the Extra Life program, an annual full-day game marathon that has gamers donating money to the CMN Hospital of their choice. Extra Life has raised more than $2 since 2008.
Valve's Gabe Newell was celebrated as the the 2013 ESA Champion Honoree at the event.
The ESAF announced its beneficiaries for 2013:
- Federation of American Scientists, which will distribute a game to enhance high school level science instruction and deepen students’ understanding of biology.
- George Mason University Foundation, which will provide underserved middle and high school students with the chance to participate in after-school game design classes.
- HopeLab Foundation, which will use technology and video games to improve the health of youth, especially those with cancer.
- Lewis and Clark Foundation, which will support the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail Interpretive Center, focusing on education and children’s programs.
- National Conference of State Legislatures, which will develop and implement interactive games to teach students about lawmaking and democracy.
- Parents’ Choice Foundation, which will develop a resource for parents, educators and healthcare professionals that will provide uniform testing, certification and identification of digital games for children of all abilities, including those with special needs.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, which opened “The Art of Video Games” exhibition this year highlighting the 40-year evolution of video games, will provide electronic resources to schools and the public.
- ThanksUSA, a non-partisan charitable organization, which will provide scholarships and education resources to the children of those serving in the U.S. armed forces.
- University of Texas at Austin, which will support an immersive science learning program for middle school students, developed by its College of Education.
- World Wide Workshop Foundation, which will harness the potential of computer games to improve learning, leadership and livelihood skills of underserved children and youth.
can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.