Quantcast
EA responds to the Spore DRM madness - Destructoid




Game database:   #ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ         ALL     Xbox One     PS4     360     PS3     WiiU     Wii     PC     3DS     DS     PS Vita     PSP     iOS     Android


EA responds to the Spore DRM madness


5:54 AM on 09.15.2008
EA responds to the Spore DRM madness photo



The big mess that is Spore's DRM controversy continues as Electronic Arts has "responded" to concerns over its use of SecuROM in Will Wright's opus.

EA corporate communications rep Mariam Sughayer claims that the uproar over limited installations is unjustified because 77% of customers have only installed the game once, leaving 23% that have needed to install it multiple times. 

"EA has not changed our basic DRM copy protection system," explained Sughayer. "We simply changed the copy protection method from using the physical media, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to one which uses a one-time online authentication.

"You can install the game on three computers - at your office, at home or for your family. What you can't do is make and distribute a thousand copies online."

No word at all, however, on the accusations that Spore's DRM chews up RAM like it was free candy. EA also neglected to address the fact that Spore myopically allows only one account to be created per copy purchased. As the title looks headed to be one of the most pirated games of all time, I doubt this will appease anyone. Still, it's somewhat amusing that EA has stated "you can't make and distribute a thousand copies" with Spore's DRM ... isn't that what everybody's doing right now?






Comments not appearing? Anti-virus apps like Avast or some browser extensions can cause this.
Easy fix: Add   [*].disqus.com   to your software's white list. Tada! Happy comments time again.

Did you know? You can now get daily or weekly email notifications when humans reply to your comments.







Electronic Arts

5:00 PM on 01.14.2015
Up for another Battlefield Hardline beta? This one's open to all platforms

It's unclear when the next Battlefield Hardline beta will go live, but when it does, it'll be open to all players on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. Cops and criminals will vie for control in the fam...more



4:45 PM on 01.06.2015
New BioWare game Shadow Realms possibly 'rebooted'

BioWare's upcoming four-on-one modern fantasy multiplayer game Shadow Realms has been "rebooted," according to sources at Kotaku. The game will supposedly change from an episodic free-to-play title to a full release. This new...more



10:00 AM on 01.03.2015
Assigning New Year's resolutions to major videogame studios

It's an annual tradition: Making resolutions to kick off the New Year. There's a whole new arbitrary set of twelve months in which to better ourselves. Or, you know, make the same mistakes we made in the last dozen. It's finally time to quit smoking or start going to the gym. Whatever. Here's a bunch of words about what videogame companies should do to shape up in 2015.more



View all Electronic Arts






Back to Top




All content is yours to recycle through our Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing requiring attribution. Our communities are obsessed with videoGames, movies, anime, and toys.

Living the dream since March 16, 2006

Advertising on destructoid is available: Please contact them to learn more