First of all, how's about a hand for Cyberpower and Intel? We're lucky to have companies sponsoring our community activies. It really is going above and beyond the call of duty to provide over $10,000 worth of prizes and made this great tournament possible. Check out their products if you're in the market for a fast gaming PC ... and tell them we sent you. Golf claps all around!
Alright, now for the fun part: announcing the winners.
The first match was brutally competitive -- monitoring and ultimately judging the winners of this contest became tricky due to all of the hacking out in the open that took place, some forms of it more amusing than others. I can't say we've ever seen that before on Destructoid, but we do appreciate the enthusiasm towards winning these great computers at the risk of being permabanned for life. There was no shortage of that! Regardless, I hope everyone had fun with it anyway and improved their Tanked-Up skills overall. Special thanks to Nitrome for lending us their games.
So who won it? How did we judge it? Hit the jump to find out!
A FLASH FINISH IN THE COMMENTS
Congratulations to Tim48o, Wedge, Meep Jeep, -H-, and Reaprar -- the top five consecutively (and legitimately) high-scoring players before things got "interesting". It's hard to tell which one of these guys was on top at the last minute, so we'll do a tiebreaker in the comments below. The first three to comment will win $300, $150, and $50 respectively and seats in the final tournament. If you know one of these guys I'd get them on the phone right now, as two are about to be eliminated! Exciting, isn't it?
But wait, there's more! The top five score hackers will also receive a supply of HACKS cough drops and Dtoid stickers: Congrats Dyslexic, RedRabbit, Blacksheep, KamikazeTutor, Weirs for coming clean on the hacks. Special thanks to our matlocking unofficial IRC crew, too!
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
Among all the hacking attempts one stood out: a way to win the contest without reverse-engineering the actual game file, interrupting server communications, or altering the system's short-term memory, thus technically not breaking our contest rules. A white-hat hacker (name withheld by request) took the time to write in and detailed an external software tool that enthusiasts use to bring their computer's CPU clock to a grind, allowing a player to complete any part of a game through artificial slow-motion. Both flash games and retail games (not involving a live multiplayer match or time-based session) are vulnerable to this tool, so unless we're sitting there over everyone's shoulders we're not likely able to catch these guys in the act. Obviously, that changed things and will affect the tournament going forward.
You have to laugh -- isn't it ironic that a tournament giving away hyper-fast computers could be gamed best by emulating the slowest computer possible?
NEW WEEK, NEW GAMES
We've listened to community feedback closely and I believe we've come up with a great solution: Since the various hacks are nearly impossible to monitor across a few thousand players in real time we've decided to change things up a bit for the next two rounds.
1. Simply play the tournament, get your score in, and random winners will be selected to win cash prizes.
2. Winners from each match will move to the final match which will may be played in a ladder or deathmatch but absolutely skill based: a PC game that allows multiple Dtoid judges to monitor and record activities in real time. Could I be more intentionally vague? Hint: It requires a keyboard and mouse!
Look for a new game early next week and more random prizes like Intel Quad-Core Processors to be issued out next week just for playing the game and submitting a score.
Can you guess what it will be? Check out Nitrome's web site for a hint!
Contests Official RulesNo Purchase Required to Enter or Win
1. Eligibility: Destructoid.com contests are usually provided by sponsors who, due to customs and shipping costs (yay budgets), often limit participation to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (unless otherwise stated) and are at least 12 years of age. We encourage our overseas friends to be super sneaky and make a friend in the United States who can receive your prize, and then you two figure out the customs/logistics. Be cautious about who you trust, obviously. Employees of destructoid.com, their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Contests, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Contests (collectively “Contest Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are *not* eligible and will be fired and publicly beaten if are caught participating. All U.S., federal, state and local and regulations apply.
2. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Entry Period: The start and end dates/times of each Contest (the “Entry Period”) will be posted on the applicable Contest site.
4. Entry: To enter a Contest, follow the instructions on the Contest site. Submission will result in one (1) entry. The number of times you can enter the Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person.
5. Drawing: Unless otherwise specified in the contest details above, we will select the names of the potential winners in a random drawing of all eligible entries received during each Entry Period. The number of winners to be selected in a specific Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The odds of being selected as a potential winner depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period. Potential winners will be contacted via email and will be asked to provide their full name, age and mailing address within a specified time period. If a potential winner does not respond within the timeframe stated in the notification email, we may select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all entries received during the Entry Period. Limit one (1) prize per household per Contest.
6. Requirements of the Potential Winners: Winners will be notified by the e-mail address associated with their account on destructoid.com.com and/or receive a Private Message on destructoid.com.com or through a Twitter Direct Message/Facebook message. Winners have five (5) days from the original message alerting them of their winnings to respond and claim their prize. If no winner comes forward within five business days, the prize will be forfeited and raffled again where Destructoid's hardcore fans are most active (forums/community blogs/facebook group).
7. Prize(s): The prize(s) (including each prize’s approximate retail value) available to be won in a specific Contest will be posted on the Contest site. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize. Prizes will be mailed between 1 to 45 business days after winners have replied with their required info.
8. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
9.Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; © printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Contest Entities’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Contest Entities be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
11. Contest Results: To enter the contest without needing to buy/sell anything or request a written copy of the name of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope (stating the specific Contest you are requesting the winners for) to destructoid.com Contest Winners 580 Market Street #59757 San Francisco CA 94104. We run many contests, so please be specific in what you are requesting. Winner requests must be received within thirty (30) days from the end date of the applicable contest (they're always posted on our site though). Winners are usually posted the day following the contest on our contest section.
Lastly, Destructoid has the right to kick your ass and take away your prize if you are a total chode, so be cool and don't kick any puppies on your way to victory. Have fun with our contests and be a good sport when you win or lose. Remember: First you get the power, then you get the money, then get the baby.