Yes, it's true. After what has been in all honesty the single best year of my life by a very long way, I'm having to leave the Destructoid staff, as I've been offered a new job in journalism which is pulling me away from the site. Leaving Destructoid genuinely has been a very very hard decision to make for me, in fact at times it's felt like the prospect of cutting an arm off. This place has been my spiritual home for far longer even than I've been on staff, and it's given me more than I'd ever have dared to hope for, both professionally and personally.
I can't over-emphasise just how important my time at Destructoid has been to me. In under a year it's taken a guy from northern England who's dreamed of being a games journalist all his life and made that dream happen in the most fun and exciting way he could ever have imagined. After years adrift from my true aspirations, I'm now working in the world I've always wanted to be in, and along the way I've had the pleasure and honor of meeting some people who are now amongst my favorite in the world, both on the staff and throughout the community. In a very true sense, Destructoid has made my life, and while I'm now moving on to the next chapter of that life, Destructoid wrote it and every single one of you guys had a hand in that. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.
But I won't be totally severing my links with Destructoid (How the Hell could I ever?). I seem to have noticed that we've got a rather good community here, and it's a community I very much want to stay a part of, so while I can't be on staff any more, I'll still be around as much as I can. Also, I'm now in the Destructoid Steam group (Steam name: Davestructoid), so if you ever see me online, hit me up for a game. I'll get you my gamertag when I get my 360 too, and of course, MySpace me up if I haven't already got you imprisoned in my list of digital souls.
But to mark my leaving Destructoid, I want to give you guys something to say thankyou. Over the last year, I've noticed a rather large pile of games swag appearing in my bedroom, which has now grown to the point where it blots out the light from my window and threatens to stop me even getting into and out of bed at all. So I want to give that pile of swag away to the Destructoid community, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. For details of the (admittedly variable) stash and how to get your hands on it, hit the jump.
2x Rock Band hats 2x Rock Band t-shirts 3x Rock Band key straps 1x Dead Island t-shirt 1x Warhound t-shirt 1x Dead Island key strap 1x Warhound key strap 1x Nyko Intercooler EX for Xbox 360 1x PlayStation 3 key chain 1x copy of RF Online 1x copy of Archlord 1x strange German WiFi booster thing. At least that's what I think it is. The box is all in German.
1x Rock Band hat 3x Rock Band key straps 2x Rock Band t-shirts 1x England football team hat 1x Clive Barker's Jericho t-shirt 1x PlayStation 3 keychain 1x trial copy of Lord Of The Rings online 1x Codemasters Online Gaming mouse mat 1x The Witcher temprary tattoo
1x Rock Band t-shirt 1x Rock Band hat 3x Rock Band key strap 1x Sensible Soccer 2006 t-shirt 1x PlayStation 3 key chain 1x The Witcher temporary tattoo 1x copy of Schnappi Das Kleine Krokodil. God knows what this is, but it apparently includes 3 games and involves a crocodile, and as we all know, crocodiles and 'gators are f*cking cool.
So what do you need to do to get your hands on some of this stuff? Simple. Just do something funny or cool with a picture of me. I give you free reign to do whatever you like as long as it stays pretty much SFW, and you can use any image of me you find around this site. Add captions to pre-existing pictures, photoshop new ones together, take screen grabs from the videos, do anything you want. Go crazy and make us laugh, and the top three selected by the staff will win the above prizes. You've got until the 25th of November to post your entries, which must be posted using bbcode in the comments section of this story. If you're stuck for images to use, thesethreestories are a good start, and I've attached a few more random ones I've found about my laptop as well.
Photo Gallery: (13 images)
Click to zoom - browse by swipe, or use arrow keys
1. Eligibility: .com contests are usually provided by sponsors who, due to customs and shipping costs (yay budgets), often limit participation to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (unless otherwise stated) and are at least 12 years of age. We encourage our overseas friends to be super sneaky and make a friend in the United States who can receive your prize, and then you two figure out the customs/logistics. Be cautious about who you trust, obviously. Employees of .com, their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Contests, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Contests (collectively “Contest Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are *not* eligible and will be fired and publicly beaten if are caught participating. All U.S., federal, state and local and regulations apply.
2. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Entry Period: The start and end dates/times of each Contest (the “Entry Period”) will be posted on the applicable Contest site.
4. Entry: To enter a Contest, follow the instructions on the Contest site. Submission will result in one (1) entry. The number of times you can enter the Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person, with the exception of patron members who may enter contests by logging into their 'perks' page.
5. Drawing: Unless otherwise specified in the contest details above, we will select the names of the potential winners in a random drawing of all eligible entries received during each Entry Period. The number of winners to be selected in a specific Contest will be posted on the applicable Contest site. The odds of being selected as a potential winner depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period. Potential winners will be contacted via email and will be asked to provide their full name, age and mailing address within a specified time period. If a potential winner does not respond within the timeframe stated in the notification email, we may select an alternate potential winner in his/her place at random from all entries received during the Entry Period. Limit one (1) prize per household per Contest.
6. Requirements of the Potential Winners: Winners will be notified by the e-mail address associated with their account on .com and/or receive a Private Message on .com or through a Twitter Direct Message/Facebook message. Winners have five (5) days from the original message alerting them of their winnings to respond and claim their prize. If no winner comes forward within five business days, the prize will be forfeited and raffled again where 's hardcore fans are most active (forums/community blogs/facebook group).
7. Prize(s): The prize(s) (including each prize’s approximate retail value) available to be won in a specific Contest will be posted on the Contest site. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. The winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize. Prizes will be mailed between 1 to 45 business days after winners have replied with their required info.
8. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
11. Contest Results: To enter the contest without needing to buy/sell anything or request a written copy of the name of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope (stating the specific Contest you are requesting the winners for) to .com Contest Winners, 548 Market Street #59757, San Francisco, CA 94104 USA. We run many contests, so please be specific in what you are requesting. Winner requests must be received within thirty (30) days from the end date of the applicable contest (they're always posted on our site though). Winners are usually posted the day following the contest on our contest section.
Lastly, has the right to kick your ass and take away your prize if you are a total chode, so be cool and don't kick any puppies on your way to victory. Have fun with our contests and be a good sport when you win or lose. Remember: First you get the power, then you get the money, then get the baby.
Get more destructoid: We're indie-run, blogging for the love of it, and our site will always be free. Optionally, you can support us and get: (1) Faster pages from our cloud server (3) Wide(r)screen (3) No big ads on Dtoid, Japanator, Tomopop, or Flixist (4) Auto contest entries, and (5) Dibs on betas & downloads. Try it out
Unsavory comments? Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our moderators, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma). Can't see comments? Apps like Avast or browser extensions can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.