Seriously, Ubisoft's latest Xbox 360 game is a mouthful. When you need a preposition and a colon to qualify a game from the others in the series, then maybe, just maybe, it's time for a new IP.
Okay, so my criteria are a little thin, but consider this: there were 9 games in the original Might and Magic series, spin-offs of which include Heroes, Crusaders, Warriors, and Legends of Might and Magic, with multiple games in each of those franchises. There was even a spin-off of the Heroes spin-off called Heroes Chronicles. Point is, there's a lot of f*cking Might and Magic floating around.
Well, the guys at Ubisoft decided that a 360 port of Dark Messiah, originally released last year for the PC, was in order. And, thanks to Valve, Arkane Studios, and the Source Engine, that's exactly what's going to happen early next year.
That being said, DMoMaM:E is, essentially, a variation on a theme that dates back to at least 1995. Oh Hexen, how I loved thee! With a generic-looking knight, save the world from the Dark Messiah, again. Kill other generic-looking demons with Might (or Magic), again. Anybody notice a trend here?
On the other hand, what Dark Messiah lacks in originality, it makes up for by being cancer-curingly stunning. The environment is detailed, the characters are crisp and sharp, and there's a definite lack of that sexy next current-gen brown. Also of interest is that the chick in the white halter with the normal-sized boobs seems to be named Leanna.
Lastly, I want to let you guys ponder this:
Immerse yourself in a gritty first-person experience with complete body awareness, realistic movements and physics rendering, making Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements the first action game to feature a complete first-person combat system.
Anybody want to challenge that statement? I'm almost positive that first-person combat is a pretty widespread occurence in the wide world of video gaming. Or is there some kind of subtle, technical, read-the-fine-print nuance in that sentence that I'm missing?
Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announced that it will launch Dark Messiah of Might and Magic™: Elements for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.
Powered by the award-winning Source® engine created by Valve® for its Half-Life®2 video game, the game will allow Xbox 360 gamers worldwide to experience the brutal combat, highly detailed interactive environments and dark atmosphere that won the hearts of thousands of PC players, while building and expanding the experience in several areas. Players will have to use the environment as a weapon to outsmart the most fiendish monsters.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements is being developed by Ubisoft's Annecy studio, supported by Valve and Arkane Studios. Ubisoft Annecy has been critically acclaimed for the innovative multiplayer modes in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® games.
About Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements:
In Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements, players will be introduced to the dark and unforgiving world of Ashan, scarred by a bloody history and threatened by the apocalyptic prophecy of the Dark Messiah.
The game will sport a refined experience thanks to several improvements in gameplay, design and other technical aspects. Players will embody the young hero Sareth and choose his evolution path to acquire spells, skills and abilities that will set his destiny.
Key Features of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements for Xbox 360 include:
• More action, new challenges. Experience Might and Magic® like never before, with refined game mechanics carefully crafted for pad-controlled carnage, including a brand new lock-on feature and tweaked level design and game statistics. Explore three previously unreleased secret levels with new objectives, gameplay, and rewards.
• Multiplayer remixed. New multiplayer maps have been created exclusively for Xbox 360, while all other features have been completely remastered for an optimal Xbox LIVE® experience, allowing you to play with up to 10 players. Enlist with the Humans or the Undead and choose to play as an archer, priestess, mage or knight. Make use of powerful and unique skills and spells on the battlefield, including powers such as meteor shower, berserk charge and rain of arrows.
• Cutting-edge technology. Discover the power of the Source engine on Xbox 360, featuring jaw-dropping environments, incredible graphics and top-notch physics. Immerse yourself in a gritty first-person experience with complete body awareness, realistic movements and physics rendering, making Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements the first action game to feature a complete first-person combat system.
·Environmental mischief. Use your environment as a weapon to outsmart the most fiendish monsters. From bottomless pits to diabolical traps, players will find that that their spells and weapons are not always the most effective solution to dispatching their foes.
• Never-ending action. Challenge the forces of evil across 12 chapters and master over 30 weapons and 12 devastating spells. Engage the enemy in intense melee combat with swords, bows, staffs and daggers; summon magic powers or sneak in the shadows to stalk depraved creatures. Show no mercy as you carve deep into the enemy's flesh and use the environment as a weapon to outsmart the most fiendish monsters.
• The Might and Magic universe's darkest side. From bottomless pits to abandoned temples, dark catacombs and swelled cities, explore the remotest recesses of Ashan, populated with fearless Orcs, dreadful Undead, elusive Cyclops and many other creatures that defy nature's creation. This is the darkest side of the legendary Might and Magic universe, where the forces of evil are stronger and more cunning than ever.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements will be released in Q1 2008. For more information, please visit www.mightandmagic.com
Photo Gallery: (5 images)
Click to zoom - browse by swipe, or use arrow keys
RadicalYoseph Playing For Glory earlier today, some guy beat me and changed his name to "ifukdu_up". I won next round and he changed it to "ILETUWIN". I then 2-0ed the little sucker, and he left the lobby. I took great pride from this incident.Dalek Sex Henshin into a person with a larger disposable income.The Dyslexic Laywer Why the hell are we suddenly accepting micro transactions in fully priced games? It used to be only acceptable in free-to-play games but its sickening that even AAA developers like microsoft are on the bandwagon.OrochiLeona If you're ever writing about something from the heart, and you stop and think "I don't know how people will react to me if I write this" then you absolutely should go ahead. Passionate conviction is often the only voice you'll have.VeryImportantQuestion Wait a second...has the blog editor been changed with the idea being that the formatting be done in Word or something and then pasted in? Have I been using it wrong these last few posts?OverlordZetta guys I'm standing in a Target looking at a Xenoblade X special edition what do I doZer0t0nin Dear Dortmund Zoo: how's it possible for people to steal 3 monkeys, 3 squirrels and 2 penguins while killing a manatee and another penguin since April and you still have no clue how to stop this?WryGuy We got Xbone! We got Xbone! We got Xbone! We got Xbone! We got Xbone!
[img]http://dave.zfx.com/Flash/starwarz.jpg[/img]Flegma Two more reasons not to preorder: the game might appear in stores before release day (Hello, Xenoblade Chronicles X for 60EUR at my local mall) or the mail workers may be on strike (well, they were until Monday). Rad Party God ModDb's MOTY (Mod of the Year) votes are up, there's quite a TON of interesting mods this year, give it a look and vote for your favorite! --- http://www.moddb.com/groups/2015-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/2015-modding-year-in-reviewOverlordZetta Hey, US Pokemon fans! Apparently if you just rename your SSID to Mcdonalds Free Wifi, you don't even need to go anywhere to get your Hoopas. Seems like they could've just made this one a normal download.Archelon It may have been a war of attrition, but I just took out a Snowspeeder on foot in Battlefront. Aww, yeah.Gamemaniac3434 Last night, for one reason or another I watched the endings of bloodborne via vaatividya, and in so doing made myself sad that I will never get to play it. Still cool that they seem to have really nailed that lovecraftian exestential horror and despair. OverlordZetta [img]https://i.imgur.com/LHAAcgPl.jpg[/img]
ãããªãã?FlanxLycanth If I were a rhino, I'd be horny.OverlordZetta I don't want DOAX, but it does make me realize... There aren't actually a lot of volleyball games out there, are there? Or tennis, even? At least golf has a little competition, but still. That's golf.LinkSlayer64 Well, everyone is throwing in their opinion on women and games, and here I am... writing a blog about being aroused by female characters in games as a kid... Perhaps I should hold off, I have a feeling it may just be taken the wrong way.Agent9 Thinking about getting my sister yokai watch or animal crossing Happy Home designer(comes with nfc reader). I already got a copy of Tales of xillia for her ps3, this is just a bonus for when she's on the road or at someones house. any suggestions?Dalek Sex Dark Souls 2. Dem builds.Torchman Posted image I promised Flanx, didn't get response from him. Heart forever broken.