Call it a case of too little too late, but Microsoft has announced that Contra will hit Xbox Live Arcade this Wednesday -- the same week just about every major game is coming out for the 360. If there's one saving grace, it was confirmed that the game will indeed have online co-op (if it works) and enhanced graphics and sound. Check out what you get for a cheap 400 points:
• Players can opt to play the original arcade game or play in the enhanced mode with improved graphics and sounds
• Xbox Live Multiplayer: Battle all 8 levels together over Xbox Live, or locally on the same console
• Xbox Live features: Players can see how they rank against their friends with worldwide leaderboards and achievements
• 12 achievements: Contra offers achievements which range from straightforward to challenging for players of all skill levels
• New visuals: Enjoy enhanced artwork including rendered new bullet effects and explosions
Perhaps because it is only 400 points, it will seem more worthy when stacked up against the week's uber releases such as Gears of War, Call of Duty 3 and Tony Hawk's Project 8. You know, I loved Contra back in the day, but after playing Gears of War, what desire would I ever have to shoot little pellets in the air again?
This blog submitted to our editor via our Community Blogs, and then it made it to the home page! You can follow community members and vote up their blogs - support each other so we can promote a more diverse and deep content mix on our home page.
Get more destructoid: We're indie-run, blogging for the love of it, and our site will always be free. Optionally, you can support us and get: (1) Faster pages from our cloud server (3) Wide(r)screen (3) No big ads on Dtoid, Japanator, Tomopop, or Flixist (4) Auto contest entries, and (5) Dibs on betas & downloads. Try it out
Unsavory comments? Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our moderators, and flag the user (we will ban users dishing bad karma). Can't see comments? Apps like Avast or browser extensions can cause it. You can fix it by adding *.disqus.com to your whitelists.